Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The need for Boar culling...?!

The need for Boar culling...?!

If Boar were hunted to extiction in the 13th century with Bows and Spears... surely anyone shooting them with highpowered rifles on a regular basis is going to wipe them out in the UK again?

Clearly I've way to much time on my hands (STILL waiting for my redundancy date!), so I've been pondering this!!! :P

I realise they're technically still Vermin, so the point is eradication (?!!?)... but as they're clearly such a popular recreational sport animal in areas where they're present, surely stalkers in those areas want to promote the wellfare of the species and minimise shooting (i.e. create a close season and best practice guide)?

I've no real practical Boar hunting experience apart from a little bit in NZ a long time ago where I was mostly lamping the Boar for a guy I was working for, so you could probably write what I know (in practical terms) about Boar on a fag packet!!! So genuinely starting this topic from a position of ignorance in an effort to benefit from collective knowledge (before any of the usual suspects lay into me )

Found a good bit of research from Natural England here: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima..._tcm6-4512.pdf

Natural England seem to be of the opinion that Boar are here to stay and should be monitored/studied rather than wiped out.... so why no close season?

p.s. 7mm should be the mimimum cal reccomendation I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Natural England seem to be of the opinion that Boar are here to stay and should be monitored/studied rather than wiped out.... so why no close season?
    Possibly something to do with their breeding cycle?.... like muntjac.

and they have huge litters of 10 or more.
    Last edited by Si; 19-11-2012 at 13:41.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

A close season IMO is essential on humane grounds anyway, it would undoubtably be cruel to orphan dependent piglets. On sporting & commercial grounds I would rather hope that those who are managing the Boar population on their ground would aim to maintain a shootable surplus of healthy animals.atb Tim

They are fully weaned at 3-4 months and can be sexually mature as early as 8 months. The piglets are not particular about which sow they suckle from either.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

There will always be ground where they are not under pressure so will never be shot out. Like deer if hammered too hard will soon move on . I think there should be a season while the stripeys are running about . They have it hard enough now that there is so much nightvision kit around.
    Atb Steve

As harsh as it sounds I have been told if I ever see them on my ground I am required to shoot them all on sight.

Sadly they have no place on a Arable farm with a large pheasant shoot. The damage they would do would be untold.

That said not sure I morally could shoot a mother with dependants.

None where I am and hope there never is, would be total nightmare for anyone involved in land management, we have enough problems with out of season licenses and night shooting of deer to protect crops, it would be much worse if we had boar also, there may be some areas where landowners would be prepared to put up with them, but they are an absolute no,no on arable land

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    None where I am and hope there never is, would be total nightmare for anyone involved in land management, we have enough problems with out of season licenses and night shooting of deer to protect crops, it would be much worse if we had boar also, there may be some areas where landowners would be prepared to put up with them, but they are an absolute no,no on arable land
    Raises a question for me - does anyone know if Boar populations have any impact on deer?

Raises a question for me - does anyone know if Boar populations have any impact on deer?
    I think the answer is yes, though I have no first hand experience of it, I have many European clients a large number of whom claim that Boar play a big part in their Roe populations as the Boar prey on new born Roe kids.

If Boar were hunted to extiction in the 13th century with Bows and Spears... surely anyone shooting them with highpowered rifles on a regular basis is going to wipe them out in the UK again?
    Not quite!! It's easy done if you remove all the trees and have packs of dogs to help you do the job but the forest cover and limited legal methods to control boar makes it pretty near impossible to wipe them out in some areas, especially when hunting them is in so many itty bitty pockets of permissions spread between individuals who don't generally co-operate for fear of being shafted.