Thread: nv illuminator

nv illuminator

has any one tried putting a ir filter on the front of a nd3x50 ? i am having a ponder to whether it would work !!!

I always thought that green lasers actually start in the IR spectrum and are "converted" to green. So converting it back would be pretty wasteful.

There is a guy on airgunforum called KenHawker. He has done this to a laser designator. Apparently there is a filter which you remove in order to change the beam from green back to IR. Check out his threads on the forum. But a word of advice, he does not take kindly to people questioning him and them giving nothing back to the forum. Fair do's to him as he has put a lot of effort and info into helping a lot of us build our homebrew NV setups. Many of which out perform the Nite-Site!

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    I always thought that green lasers actually start in the IR spectrum and are "converted" to green. So converting it back would be pretty wasteful.

The actual LED in an ND3 is an IR one, it just passes the light through a crystal or something to produce the visible green light, you can remove it to just produce IR light but others have tried and the results were not great, it produce a very dirty light if I remember correctly.

You would be better off starting with a cheap LED torch and putting an IR LED in that, failing that buy a Nightmaster 800IR

alot of feed back towards the nightmaster 800 ir, sounds like the way to go, if you don't ask you never find out !! many thanks to all

I have a pulsar laser and also a nightmaster 800. I would say that the light from any laser is "dirtier" than LED light. The night master performs as well as the laser but with much cleaner light and a cheaper price ticket!