Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad Bike Choice

Question Quad Bike Choice

I'm trying to decide which used quad to buy for work on the hill, & wondered what those who have used the different ones in the real world think of the different models.

There seem to be numerous models & variants - the choice is too wide without help!

I think I want a 4x4 with a minimum of 300cc engine, & am thinking of spending up to 2500 absolute max.

Advice on auto / manual / suspension type / engine capacity etc would be much appreciated.

Obviously the big four names are:-
    Honda (Foreman, Fourtrax, Rincon, Big Red)
    Yamaha (Bruin, Big Bear, Grizzly).
    Suzuki (King Quad, Eiger, Arctic Cat)
    Kawasaki (KLF & KVF)

Can Am & Polaris also as contenders. Should I totally discount the the likes of Farr , TGB etc?

How do you rate them - I know many folks will say Honda is best (like motor bikes) - that was the case in the past I think, but now have the others caught up?

Which do you like, which is most reliable & are are there any models to avoid - & if so why?

I'll want it to be Agri registered for occasional road use (say 1Km max) so any comments re - road ride attributes will be welcomed too.

Ian
    Last edited by Yorric; 19-11-2012 at 16:25.

You wont go wrong with a Honda mate, they stand up to a fair bit of punishment. Like you say for the hill has to be 4WD and at least 300 if not 400. If you are working with reds then go for as much HP as you can get. Can only help you out if hauling big reds around.

JMO but stay away from the cheaper brands, you will spend most of your time fixing them.

Ads
    Last edited by auquhollie; 19-11-2012 at 16:32.

Quote Originally Posted by auquhollie View Post
    You wont go wrong with a Honda mate, they stand up to a fair bit of punishment. Like you say for the hill has to be 4WD and at least 300 if not 400. If you are working with reds then go for as much HP as you can get. Can only help you out if hauling big reds around.

JMO but stay away from the cheaper brands, you will spend most of your time fixing them.

Ads
    + 1

My Father has had a few over in spain. He had some Linhai 350 thing to start with. Load of crap! Lasted about a year and he chopped it in. Then he bought a 500 Quadzilla, again made by Linhai I think. Wasnt a bad machine. He had the long wheelbase version which made it good for loading it up and still getting a passenger on the back. Anyway, that lasted about 3 years before he started having major problems with it. Now he has bought a Yamaha Grizzly 500cc. Obviously it is far better quality than the others, with it being yamaha, but for around double the price, it bloody well should be! Cant fault it though, really smooth to ride and goes up the mountains better than a billy goat.

Myself, I have a TGB Blade 550. Cost me around 6,000 new, which was comparable to the cost of the Quadzilla, but thats where the comparison ends. The TGB is twice the quad for the money. It has independant suspension, full difflockers and 1 ton winch. I have taken it through some right bogs and it does not miss a beat. If I was buying another quad I would choose the TGB over the Yamaha Grizzly, simply because I dont see twice the price in comparing the quality and ability.

My TGB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17956_332666405375_1064256_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	21640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17956_332665995375_6703679_n.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	21639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17956_332665795375_5993788_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	21638

Honda Foreman every time, you still cant beat honda build quality and reliability.

Don't know much about this subject in general but I can say I wouldn't recommend the Farr!

have you considered a mule type have had quads for years but would not go back to one now yes you can get one any where a quad can go and can carry more load no climbing on and of keep dryer in wet ?

I have a Honda foreman 500 and they are strong and reliable daily use dragging a phezy snacker around a very wet shoot .

consider any of the big names also have you a dealer near you go to them as 2500wont buy a new one and if you have to travel a long way to get it repaired then travel costs etc need to be considered .
    haveing said all that I am on my second KLF which has not cost me much in repairs wish it was a 400 though.