Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of bird numbers

Loss of bird numbers

I know its nothing to do with stalking but iv'e just been watching the news about the amount of bird life that's disappearing in our country
    there was some bloke on the news saying its farming ripping out their habitat and the old chestnut global warming not one person mentioned the fact that the most prolific breeding bird in recent years is the Buzzard and all its other mates including maggies and alike
    I was only talking to a local farmer the other day about the badger cull and TB aside there are no ground nesting birds about any more
    shorly this lot have got to have something to do with it or are these T**TS turning a blind eye to all this

Rant over Drag

i watched it also they mentioned the sparrow ,did they forget to record the amount taken by sparrowhawks off the feeding tables the whole thing is blinkered into blaming others instead of actually admitting what is going on in the countryside, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

global warming or global cooling farming has more influance bird habitat for good or bad

Its a sad state of affairs, We activly shoot crows, magpies jays etc throughout the year on our shoot, and year on year the numbers are spiraling.
    I think they do a lot more damage than raptors on the bird population. (not defending raptors we are overrun with them as well)
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

domestic cats.............psychopathic relentless bird killers!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    domestic cats.............psychopathic relentless bird killers!
    Yep, wish they came under AOLQ. Got three around me that do nothing but kill and their owners just say "well it's in their nature" well it's in mine to kill them ( the cats..not the owners ) if I was allowed

I used to have housemartins nesting in the eaves - until the sparrowhawk took care of them.
    A blackbird has tried nesting in our Leylandii for the past three summers and had its' nests ripped apart by the local cat and magpies.
    The maggies even learned to cling to the harling and rip the housemartins nest apart for the nestlings
    I've got a larsen trap on order to take care of the maggies but not much I can do about the other two.

Ed

[QUOTE=LuckyEddie;474123]I used to have housemartins nesting in the eaves - until the sparrowhawk took care of them.
    A blackbird has tried nesting in our Leylandii for the past three summers and had its' nests ripped apart by the local cat and magpies.
    The maggies even learned to cling to the harling and rip the housemartins nest apart for the nestlings
    I've got a larsen trap on order to take care of the maggies but not much I can do about the other two.

Ed

Well I have got so p*ssed off with the magpies in my garden last spring decimating every nest that I have now made the 15th Larsen, so that next spring I can loan them out to anyone (on cash deposit) who has a large garden within 1 mile radius as an experiment, what do you think, will it make a difference?

ATB Willow

[QUOTE=willowbank;474138]
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    I used to have housemartins nesting in the eaves - until the sparrowhawk took care of them.

Ed

Well I have got so p*ssed off with the magpies in my garden last spring decimating every nest that I have now made the 15th Larsen, so that next spring I can loan them out to anyone (on cash deposit) who has a large garden within 1 mile radius as an experiment, what do you think, will it make a difference?

ATB Willow
    Yes, But its going to be a very long battle.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

Magpies and crows are on the increase birds of prey are becoming more popular and as for farming so what about all the field margins and comers that are now left and planted with specific bird seed mixes to encourage nesting birds we ave been putting corners down to this and noticed and increase same as always everyone is to quick to blame the farmer this country is a joke!