Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASC Green Shoots Mapping - anyone using it?

BASC Green Shoots Mapping - anyone using it?

I set up 'My shoots' on the BASC Green Shoots Mapping system yesterday, link as follows:

http://greenshoots.basc.org.uk/Default.aspx

It allows you to map your shoot, note the terrain and log species seen on the land - what, when and where.

It looks pretty good for monitoring activity on your land. Anyone else using it?

no, the idea is great but the map definition and accuracy is not good enough to work with on areas I shoot

The suppliers of the map software will be updating the mapsover the next few months to a much higher res in all areas of the UK.

Thanks for the feedback.

David

Just a random thought.
    Call me an old cynic?
    What about the security of information?
    Is it possible that some clever "old bean" could have all of your shoot information just for the taking?
    The land owner might not be too chuffed either?
    Personally I would certainly think twice and then not do it.

Its held with us and is secure, our servers are very well protected against all sorts of attacks

David

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Its held with us and is secure, our servers are very well protected against all sorts of attacks

David
    (Its held with us)
    Exactly, I think thats what would bother me!!
    Wf1

Why would BASC members be worried about BASC working with themto help map their shoots, so together we can collect biological data, but atthe same time use the same maps to give members site specific help and guidanceon shoot / habitat management?
    David

Do you think this information would be shared with others from the deer sector i know that RTA,s involving deer caused some concern as members of the DI teams went into the areas were the data showed most collisions and secured ground on a very well worded approach. Also most of the same data was given to DI who then shared it with SNH and the wheels go round. My take is unless there is a national data collection from all!! FAC holders then i would avoid it.

But there again i have been wrong and i could be again.

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Why would BASC members be worried about BASC working with themto help map their shoots, so together we can collect biological data, but atthe same time use the same maps to give members site specific help and guidanceon shoot / habitat management?
    David
    Not specifically knocking BASC but why would I give an outside organisation the key to my door?
    Once data is out in the ether, it's not secure to my way of thinking?
    Information is power!
    Just think of the power someone would have if, as has happened before the information escaped or was leaked?
    A guy with learning difficulties confounded the USA by gaining access to very sensitive security sites, or a mole was employed unknowingly for an Animal rights organisation, or an employee lost a disc on a train as happened before to the DSS?
    I hope you are right David.

Anyway, off to read another thriller.