Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill stalking - what do you use to carry your rifle

Hill stalking - what do you use to carry your rifle

What do you use to carry your rifles on the open hill ? Has anyone used the harkila backpack type things ?
    acm

leather sling on the shoulder, tried the slip for a while but it's just an inconvenience and makes it cumbersome and loud to quickly get ready for a shot.

My hunting partner who came to Montana with me used a Harkila back pack, every single zip failed during the 2 weeks we were over there, he was less than impressed, such a pity as the design and material they use is great, they just need to use YKK zips.

Traditionally carried in the slip, bullets in magazine but nothing in chamber only removed from slip and bullet chambered on final approach, if you have booked accompanied stalking then the stalker will normally carry your rifle
    and again you will only be given it when he wants you to shoot.

If its your own ground or unaccompanied then its entirely up to you how you carry it, never used the back pack thing but have had quite a few Nordic clients and it seems to be popular with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    What do you use to carry your rifles on the open hill ? Has anyone used the harkila backpack type things ?
    acm
    If stalking myself with a stainless synthetic, I use double backpack slings, decent scope caps. If using a "better" rifle or with guests I use a "brady" or similar canvas type slip. Shop around for one that will hold a rifle with mod and bipod if you use them.

I have fitted double straps to my Brady slip, and it's really comfortable to carry. If stalking on the hill , you should have plenty of time to take a rifle out the slip, it always gives you time to get your breath and compose yourself. I would be wary of buying before tring a slip, there are some really cheap ones out there that are extremely uncomfortable to carry.
    You will still need good scope caps and a bullet wallet with at least 10 rounds + whats in your rifle mag if possible a spare mag is good. Most Stalkers will ask you to fill the rifle mag but nothing up the spout.
    With guests, I always carry the rifle. Some guys do, some don't . you may have a ghillie who will carry the rifle. I always carried the rifle because

1. I know exactly where it is and what state it's in. [don't take this personally, stalkers get 100s of guest from all over the place and it's just easier and safer.]
    2. Conserves ghillies energy for dragging!
    3.Conserves guest energy for taking the shot and getting up the hill.
    4. Always done it!

Let the stalker know exactly how many rounds you have, even show them. I've taken a guest word for it , then been without ammo 5 miles from house and 100m from stag.

Most of all enjoy it and field any questions to the Estate or Agent that you are dealing with. Alternatively ask on here.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Traditionally carried in the slip, bullets in magazine but nothing in chamber only removed from slip and bullet chambered on final approach, if you have booked accompanied stalking then the stalker will normally carry your rifle
    and again you will only be given it when he wants you to shoot.

If its your own ground or unaccompanied then its entirely up to you how you carry it, never used the back pack thing but have had quite a few Nordic clients and it seems to be popular with them.
    +1 could have saved a heap of typing!

Oh should add, I have seen a slip made in Germany that was rap around can be removed from rifle(held closed with strong magnet) in less than a second it has no carry strap you use the rifle sling, great piece of kit when used with the double slings as described by bambislayer, keeps the rifle dry ,clean and protected yet instantly available.

Bushwear had them in previous catalogue though not in present one, though they may still be able to supply.

Bogtrotter,

It's the continental fairly standard Loden slip.

I use one when on driven boar.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Bogtrotter,

It's the continental fairly standard Loden slip.

I use one when on driven boar.

Stan
    Thanks, that will be it right enough, thought it was a useful piece of kit when I saw it.