Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper bullets.

Copper bullets.

Iwrch says "what do you reckon to copper bullets"?
    There, i did it for you.
    basil.

Cheers Basil! Shall we begin by cutting and pasting MarkH's original post and replies from Ballistics & Tech Data?

CLICK HERE

Only need 22533 views to break the record.

Copper bullets

Just returned from KwaZulu-Natal, this year I used my 270, a rifle I use every week, and Barnes TSX 150gn, I took7 animals including 2 wilderbeast and 3 large warthos all with one shot kills. All bullets exited and were never found. One hog was hit behind shoulder without hitting much bone and ran 200yds with little blood trail, but was hit in top of heart and lungs. However all three hogs only showed blood at strike point and lots of blood where they fell. These bullets are very accurate, and like to be driven fast. The other animals were hit through shouders and bullets just plowed thro both and exited. With pound strong against doller last year I bought from states very cheaply. One day lead will be banned fron shooting animals that go into food chain, this has happened on the continent already, so non lead will one day be the only option. I have some tipped triple shock 130gn to try on deer, there are reports of Barnes penciling thro without expanding if the hollow points fill up with rubbish etc, however all mine had 2 to 3 times the diameter exit holes. I like them and would use them again on dangerous animals. deerwarden

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch
    Cheers Basil! Shall we begin by cutting and pasting MarkH's original post and replies from Ballistics & Tech Data?

CLICK HERE

Only need 22533 views to break the record.
    Slate Mark H all you like , but he does know what he is talking about as do others from just their own experiences and extensive testing of such bullets
    and opinions do vary
    try a few for yourself and let us know how you get on
    i for one will be interested in the results
    ATB

My apologies Stone but I suspect you may have misinterpreted my post.

I, like MarkH, am a big fan of monos and have posted elsewhere on this forum in their favour. My comments were not meant to be derogatory, simply that Mark's original post attracted that much comment I felt that everybody might wish to give the subject a rest for a while!

The truth of it is that I haven't bought a lead round in over two years, simply because the Sako .308 loading of the Barnes TSX which I use does everything I want from a high velocity bullet. I recently posted some pictures to illustrate my findings.

Anyhow, this thread is clearly up and running so can anybody report on the Winchester/Nosler E-tip?

Q. can you get copper bullets in 100gn 243 to conform with the legal requirement, and do they fit in the mag?

Q. can you use them on military ranges?

Q. what is the minimum velocity that they will work at?

Q. will the forestry companies approve them?

regards
    griff

copper bullets

Civilian use of Mono metal bullets is not permitted on MOD ranges at present.

Hi Griff,

Forgive me but I can't decide whether you ask these questions in the rhetorical sense, implying an inadequacy on the part of copper rounds, or simply a request for knowledge. Assuming the latter -

1. Apologies, but I don't know, I only shoot .308 factory loads. If not, then so be it. Clearly an inappropriate and illegal load which should not (could not!) be used on deer.

2. see Steven's reply and alsoa response elsewhere.

3. see the response on another forum

4. The FC have not objected to my using them in .308.

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    Q. can you get copper bullets in 100gn 243 to conform with the legal requirement, and do they fit in the mag?

Q. can you use them on military ranges?

Q. what is the minimum velocity that they will work at?

Q. will the forestry companies approve them?

regards
    griff
    1 Dont know.

2 NO

3 Dont Know

4 No due to the damage they cause to living trees and the damage to cutting machinery when harvested.