Thread: Carcass prep advice wanted

Carcass prep advice wanted

Looking some advise on blood clotting in a carcass while hanging. I shot a good sized fallow pricket a few weeks ago and the shot placement was just behind the shoulder. He was hung for 10 days in the chiller with the skin on . It was shot with 6.5x55 120 sierra game king , the damage looked minimal. When I skinned it about 10 days later there was a lot of blood around the front of the carcass. The butcher mentioned that the shoulders were in a **** state.

I was happy with how he was bleed etc and I grollached it hanging. Did the blood seep between the skin and shoulders in this case and is there something I can do to prevent this in the future.

Head/neck shoot,and if you are selling it to a butcher then skin it out straight away when you get back to the larder,there will still be some clotting and seepage between the vellum but it will be a lot easier to trim it out.

Martin

[QUOTE=re'M'ington;474840]Head/neck shoot,and if you are selling it to a butcher then skin it out straight away when you get back to the larder,there will still be some clotting and seepage between the vellum but it will be a lot easier to trim it out.

Martin[/QUOTE

taking the skin off straight away will also reflect the price with the butcher. you will get less for your beast.and dont forget if kept in the chiller for a a good few days with the skin off if will dry out a bit more
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

[QUOTE=pendle;475986]
    Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Head/neck shoot,and if you are selling it to a butcher then skin it out straight away when you get back to the larder,there will still be some clotting and seepage between the vellum but it will be a lot easier to trim it out.

Martin[/QUOTE

taking the skin off straight away will also reflect the price with the butcher. you will get less for your beast.and dont forget if kept in the chiller for a a good few days with the skin off if will dry out a bit more
    You should actually get more from your butcher not less! Whatever bullet you use you will still get clotting and damage, some more than others! You are using the bullet to kill the beast which it does, meat damage should not come into the equation, welfare, cull, fridge!

[QUOTE=pendle;475986]
    Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post

Martin[/QUOTE

You are not allowed to sell anything to a butcher in the skin,unless they actually have a dedicated dirty area,which very very few would have.And as far as taking it out of the skin,you wouldn't leave it hanging for more than 24 hrs for the reason mentioned above,but,I don't usually hang for more than 2-3 days anyway,but always in the skin,I was just trying to help the person with the question.

Martin..

one butcher i was told to speak to a couple of years ago had a dedicated dirty area and would only buy when he had skinned it . He said he was not paying for the skin and would give me less for a heart lung shot i never supplied any to him. Another butcher stalker offered to buy them in the skin more for a head or neck shot but now says will only buy now less the weight of the skin .

[the skin off post was for refrence only because of the above butchers]
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Out of interest guys. What price per kg/lb would you expect for say fallow with skin on or without skin. I sold one the other week and butcher paid on skinned weight.

Struggling here lads with the hanging, we hang lambs,pigs for 7 days no problem with dryin out the same with venison, unless you mean it will weigh less, you may lose a kilo or two, which the butcher would take into account. shoulder shot will always have waste, if for home use, I only head shoot, if going to the dealers, it does not matter as the money is in the haunch and loin.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Struggling here lads with the hanging, we hang lambs,pigs for 7 days no problem with dryin out the same with venison, unless you mean it will weigh less, you may lose a kilo or two, which the butcher would take into account. shoulder shot will always have waste, if for home use, I only head shoot, if going to the dealers, it does not matter as the money is in the haunch and loin.
    All carcases will lose weight during hanging,it is inevitable Taff,but Lambs and Pigs have a lot more fat content which obviously equates to fluid so it won't dry out like a skinned Deer will.

Martin