Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First tracking training - best deer to use

First tracking training - best deer to use

Hi Guys

What would be the best deer species to use as first time tracking training

ie. Fur, feet,lungs heart, etc

Some say, Red Sika & Fallw. Then roe and muntjac onto CWD

I have fallow, Sika, roe and muntjac bits stored up,any ideas guys or does it not matter.

Hopefully he will meet up with all of em eventually in the flesh so to speak, which one to start ?

Phil

What breed of dog.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

What deer do you plan to track?

Hi guys

He is a GWP and we should be stalking most species if any Reds may be the lesser one but the main ones in order would be Roe, Muntjac, fallow and sika, CWD very unlikely but you never know

Atb

Phil

i would use what ever you can lay your hands on !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Hi leec6.5

Have a good mix of deer bits frozen down, will change around as to give him a variety I think.

My main species are roe and munties

Thanks

Phil

Personally I would use whatever you have to hand, with the breed if its anything like mine teaching to track is the least of your worries. Mine has acted like a hoover on pretty much anything injured its inbred like pointing. The refinements take a bit of getting there but good luck its all worthwhile when you watch them follow their first one.

I usually collect red deer blood(just because there is more blood to collect). I usually use a head and neck or whole carcass for the dog to find(usually roe because they are easier to handle). I dont think the dogs can work out that roe deer should not have put out red deer blood, well at least they never complain to me about it

Cheers guys
    Greatly appreciated

Can't wait to get the ball rolling, looking forward to the first tracking find ( in the best possible way). No joy in a wounded animal, but got the tools for the job looking forward to working the GWP

ATB

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    I usually collect red deer blood(just because there is more blood to collect). I usually use a head and neck or whole carcass for the dog to find(usually roe because they are easier to handle). I dont think the dogs can work out that roe deer should not have put out red deer blood, well at least they never complain to me about it
    If you are using the carcass or skin from a roe, why would you then use blood from a red on the same track? It does not take much blood to use on a training track. 250ml would be more than enough...

Surely it makes sense to use feet, skin and blood if indeed you are using blood, from the same animal to simulate a real life situation as much as possible. It may not make much of a difference in a controlled training environment but what about when in the real thing and the track is contaminated by other animals crossing it?