Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highlights of 2012.. What are yours?

Highlights of 2012.. What are yours?

Was looking at my deer log today and surprised myself that ive had a better year than i thought. It got me thinking about the good/best bits from this year.. Heres my top 3 incuding pics...

1: Using my dog while stalking for the first time

2: Getting a friend from shooting a rifle for the first time to getting her first roe buck

3: Stalking CWD and muntjac (courtesy of MJstalker) for the first time.

Whats yours!?

Sorry but am still waiting for a high light. There have been a fair few lows though.

Four Deer, Two Species within 2 hours!!!

Running fox shot at 200+ meters while lamping!

but out Sunday all day on some great permissions and company so hope to top it all...

It's been a mitigated one so far. It started under great auspices on 2nd January when I went to the woods on my own early in the morning and shot a woodcock, which I took to be a good omen for the year. I took DSC1 in February, this starting my final approach to start stalking after years of planning to. I then bought a house in May after six months of legal, bureaucratic and financial hell, which was a high point. Then about the worst thing that could happen took place in August. But this month I finally received my FAC. So there's still a chance to end this year on a positive note if Father Christmas manages to put my rifle under the tree, if I can find a woodcock on Saturday, and if a chance for some stalking materialises, although I have some booked for February.

It's still all to play for though. Although I've learned that you can't read the future in woodcock. Scolopaxomancy is bunk.

My Highlights must be completing my DSC level 2 and my first big palmated Fallow buck

Lowlight is having to travel all they way up to Moy gamefair with my ''Gold Medal'' roe to find out it only made silver

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Showing you 3 Species of deer within 20 mins on my permission, of which you shot 2.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Managing to keep my house and car and squeeze in a bit of stalking!
    been one of those years!

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Showing you 3 Species of deer within 20 mins on my permission, of which you shot 2.
    That was an amazing night in fairness Stu! and not just 3 species but some cracking examples of them too!

dsc lvl 2

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    That was an amazing night in fairness Stu! and not just 3 species but some cracking examples of them too!
    my high light is passing my lvl 2 with your help BEN and getting you on a very good shoot ,to which you have shot
    more deer than me .are you up for a pint on fri or sat this week .

Saturday maybe Dave, will give you a text..