Load for 308

geoffrey

Hi All
My son has just purchased a Tikka m596 stainless synthetic in 308 so i would like to load some ammunition for him, i have some Fedral brass, 150gn Hornady interlocks and Fedral 210 primers, can anybody advise on the best powder to use,
cheers Geoff

Have used vit n140 with good results on a hornady 150 gr bullet. I played around with the loading finding 43.1 gr the best, then altered length to 2.825. Four bullets at range, one hole!!

I use 45g of varget this works cant say about other powders, but its good in my sako, blaser hope this helps ATB Steve

I have used n140 too. Often between 44 and 45 with 150g btsp interlocks but up to 46 with Speer 150 flat base spitzer which was doing 2900 out of a minimum saami spec chamber

N140 is a solid go-to for the .308, likewise Varget but the N140 is quite a bit cheaper.
N140 is very versatile in this cartridge and I found I could vary charges quite a lot without losing accuracy.

Can't advise on the best but I got lucky with Reloader 15 with the 150 grain Hornady Spire Points (I think they are interlocks but can never remember) and it shoots more accurately than I can and gives me 3000fps out of my Blaser (I think the barrels are less than 22 inches) with no pressure signs and the cases have been reloaded a very many times now. I'm using a load right at book max just because that seemed to be the most accurate one though there wasn't much between any of them.

Have always used 42 grains of Reloder 15 behind hornady 150 grain spire points. Found it to be accurate and with enough oomph!

44.4 grains of N140 with 150 grain interlocks gives me half inch groups at 100 yards through T3 hunter, lapua brass and cci 200 primers

Thanks everybody for your input, it seems that n140 would be a good starting point i will give it a try

cheers geoff

Reloder 15 is fine as is Vit N140 for 150 grain 308.
If you can get it locally, the TR140 will be the cheapest option & again will do a fine job.

Ian

Back