Thread: .30=06 ammo

.30=06 ammo

Having just ordered my new R93 in .30-06 i am wondering what ammo people use most?
    I am getting some Federal 125g S/P in the deal but might change upto a 150g B/T.

The Feds locally are 24 a box , where as Norma 150g i would expect about 40-50 a box.

Normally a big fan of nosler B/T for everything but may stick to the soft points.

How far are you planning to shoot? I have been shooting 30-06 for severl decades and never shot BT's unless I was match shooting! If you are in an area where it's legal to reload I'd suggest that you do. Lee Classic Reloader is an almost pocket -sized unit.It costs about $30US and produces excellent ammunition.~Muir

I've just ordered some PPU 180Spt, cheap as chips and if no good the brass is good for reloading!!
    I've no reason to believe it won't be any good as I've used PPU .222 .243 and .308 and been well pleased with it's performance.
    I must point out I am not a 600' target shooter

I've had really variable results with Privi Partizan ammo - I try it in everything because at 39p for a .223 round and 49p for a .270 round it's worth the experiment.

My previous .223 wouldn't tolerate it, scattering the bullets into a 2" group at 100 yds despite my best efforts, whereas by current .223 quite likes it and will make sub-1" groups without too much effort (I wouldn't expect match accuracy from PPU ammunition but hunting accuracy, i.e. 1 MOA is reasonable).

My .270 will shoot 130gn PPU ammo quite happily into 1" at its 150yd zero but doesn't seem to like the 150gn stuff much at all, although this may be because it's slightly too heavy for my fairly short and light sporter barrel. At 40 a box for premium .270 factory ammo, I'm not sure I could afford to run a larger calibre if I didn't reload - at current prices I can reload Nosler 140gn BTs or 110gn V-Max BTs for around 70p per round, as opposed to 2 ready-rolled...

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir
    How far are you planning to shoot? I have been shooting 30-06 for severl decades and never shot BT's unless I was match shooting! If you are in an area where it's legal to reload I'd suggest that you do. Lee Classic Reloader is an almost pocket -sized unit.It costs about $30US and produces excellent ammunition.~Muir

Hi Muir, the normal sort of distances, upto 200 yards or so.
    Got to admit reloading isn't for me, too busy, and cant stand measuring and sitting still!
    Was quoted 52 box Norma 150g noslers today
    Think i will buy 200 of the Feds at 24 box.

Thats if my local force ever decide to send my ticket back!

You've fallen into the typical UK Reloader's Syndrome:

Must weigh charges!
    Must sort brass!
    Must weigh and sort bullets.

(AARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! The Time! Where Will I find the TIME???)

It all gives American reloaders fits.

Nuts to it all. The Classic Lee Loader requires you size the case by tapping it into a sizing die. Powder is dispensed with a dipper. Bullets are seated with a hammer... One loaded round every two or three minutes.

Despite all this hoary crudeness, it will produce first class hunting ammo. I have compared the results to ammunition loaded in RCBS equipment and found it shot equally as well.

It's up to you, but I think you're missing out.~Muir

Hi Sako85

I have a Blaser in 30-06 and like yourself I'm a fan of Nosler b/tips
    I use my 30.06 mostly for fallow and boar 125's I think would be evil if driven flat out at 30-06 velocities and defeats the object of having a 30-06 I home load 150's for use on the Fallow and I find these a bit harsh but they do fall over.
    I have shot boar with 180's and they worked fantastic and they hold together about the same as a good soft point on the Fallow but they tend to run a little way compared to the 150's.

Wayne