Deer addition confusion

john hind

I have just aquired permission on a farm that holds fallow deer and the farmer has asked me to thin them down. I hold an open certificate for a .243 rifle and thought , no problem. I have applied to the local firearms department for a variation to put deer on to my ticket. I follwed this up with a phone call and was told that this will take some time to process as they have to check with the farmer. Why not phone him I asked , we have to check if the land is suitable was the reply. No need for that I shoot fox on there with the same caliber on an open ticket says I. They replied that will not cover you to shoot deer the land may not be suitable. Are they giving me the run around or is this correct?
Cheers John Hind

Sounds like typical Firearms Licensing b*llsh*t. If you've got an 'open' certificate already, write them a letter asserting that fact and that you've shot this land for years, should be a no brainer to be honest!

I have just aquired permission on a farm that holds fallow deer and the farmer has asked me to thin them down. I hold an open certificate for a .243 rifle and thought , no problem. I have applied to the local firearms department for a variation to put deer on to my ticket. I follwed this up with a phone call and was told that this will take some time to process as they have to check with the farmer. Why not phone him I asked , we have to check if the land is suitable was the reply. No need for that I shoot fox on there with the same caliber on an open ticket says I. They replied that will not cover you to shoot deer the land may not be suitable. Are they giving me the run around or is this correct?
Cheers John Hind
Yes they are giving you the run around and yes they are correct, the Firearms Act gives Chiefs of Police power to do so. Sometimes it appears that they would rather be wasting the FEO's time on this sort of nonsense rather than checking if the applicant commits domestic violence or some other unsuitable act for a responsible gun owner. atb Tim

Hi

But surely you have either had to have done the DSC1 course or have a mentor to be able to shoot deer. I only say this as I have a open cert for my 6mm rem but for me to shoot the deer on land I have permission on I have to have a qualified deer stalking with me.

Regards
craig

Hi

But surely you have either had to have done the DSC1 course or have a mentor to be able to shoot deer. I only say this as I have a open cert for my 6mm rem but for me to shoot the deer on land I have permission on I have to have a qualified deer stalking with me.

Regards
craig

Not yet but it's going that way ;)

So how come I have to have a mentor with me or do the DSC1 course before I can shoot deer on my own. I have a few plots of land to control deer on but have to someone with me.

Regards
Craig

I can understand someone with little or no experience needing a mentor but you clearly are not, so maybe you just need to have a chat with your FEO and get him to remove the condition?

I see you are an NGO member, can they not help?

Back