Thread: 7mm rem mag primers

7mm rem mag primers

I'm going to be loading for this calibre soon and will initially be using H4350 because that is what i use in 30.06 so i have a fair bit already,with a load of maybe a few grains more is it really necessary to use a magnum primer,i use CCI BR2 at the moment and would like to carry on using them or am i missing something,all the loads i have listed in the speer manual use the mag primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    I'm going to be loading for this calibre soon and will initially be using H4350 because that is what i use in 30.06 so i have a fair bit already,with a load of maybe a few grains more is it really necessary to use a magnum primer,i use CCI BR2 at the moment and would like to carry on using them or am i missing something,all the loads i have listed in the speer manual use the mag primers.
    Not sure what you mean by "load of a few grains more" Hope i'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs but don't just adapt your 30.06 load, but load a specific load for you RM. If you havent got a reloading book i can sort you some loads from the Lee book, or from the Nosler one.

And re your query on primers, i always use magnum but my RFD said they're not neccesary. My take on it is if you've got a large load you need a good spark to get a full burn ( at least thats what i tell the missus )

If you want details re load feel free to pm me

Scrun

Doh - just read your message again and seen you have the Speer manual
    Last edited by scrun63; 22-11-2012 at 18:52. Reason: should have gone to spec savers

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    No - it's not necessary to use a magnum primer in this calibre, particularly with H4350 which isn't ultra-slow. This is much like Vit. N160.

I listed some chrono' readings in 7RM using Standard & Mag side-by-side on an earlier thread, but have tried (and failed) to find it by keyword. Anyway, the MV's I got were the same with each ... no idea about pressure.

A lot of benchrest primers are made to 'magnum specs.' (hotter) so you're probably already using what you have in mind. There's a table of primer burning 'brisance rates' somewhere if you Google the term.

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Thanks sinistral i'll have a look for the tables,thanks scrun sorry for the confusion what i meant was that in the speer manual H4350 loads for 30.06 are start 54grn max 58grn for 165grn bullet and 7mm rem start 57grn and max 61grn for a 160grn bullet so no great difference in powder quanity to ignite,currently using 56grn in the 30.06 and hoping to get a load for 7mm rem somewhere near the start to middle of the road,don't want it to be to quick could get a bit messy i'm guessing.
    ATB Neil

I and a good many of the folks in my immediatte area use Federal 215 primers for all large rifle magnum cases . And the same ones pretty well use CCI200 primers for all large rifle NON magnum cases .

I typically use 3500 of the CCI200's and maybe 600 or so of the Federal 215's in a year .

Only time I worry about BR primers is in the little target rifle cases like the 204 , 222 and 223 . Or when I own one the PPC's and BR's .

I am using a CCI BR Primer to ignite 61 Grains of N160 in my 30-06 ACKLEY. Works very well.
    Hope this helps.

Yorkie.
    Last edited by Yorkie; 23-11-2012 at 20:20. Reason: Stupidity, quoted wrong primer.

I wouldnt have thought it would make much difference

I use CCIBR as well with N160

IIRC the primer does not affect peak pressure levels but the curve it takes to reach them
    Pressure is limited by fuel (charge)
    Burn rate and ignition is what you are impacting

I would imagine using a magnum vs and "normal" primer is similar to using a slightly lower corresponding charge of a faster powder
    58gr of N160 vs 60gr N165
    same pressure, slower build up