Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best all rounder for beginner

best all rounder for beginner

i am doing my dsc1 in 2 months and was wondering what would be the best all-rounder gun to have for reds and roes
    i have had a 243 before for fox shooting but have never tried any other cal.

Any of the following 6.5x55, 25-06, 270, 308, 30-06, 7x57, 7-08 .............(the list goes on) will do the job & bambi won't know any difference.
    At sensible stalking ranges there's very little trajectory difference between them.

A major consideration is the availability of ammunition so check out what your RFD sells.

The faster & heavier the bullet the more the recoil. All those will give more recoil than the 243 so you may wish to keep bullet weight down. A moderator will also reduce perceived recoil.

If you can get out to a range & shoot a few different rifles in different calibres. That way you will soon get an idea what you like.
    Buy a rifle that appeals to you - If you don't want to cuddle it don't buy it!

The fit & feel of a rifle is much more important than the ammunition it uses.
    Most rifles will fit most people - IF the scope is set up properly.

I know many on here won't agree (it's an age old argument) but I'd say the 6.5x55 or 308 are ideal for your purpose, with the 308 ticking the most boxes.

Ian

p.s. Do get out & do a bit of practice before you do your Level 1. You'll have enough to think about with all the rest of the course without worrying about the shooting part!

Great advice from Ian above...

I started out with a .243, but wanted something to knock down everything in the UK and didn't want a .308 cannon, so like you, took advice and went with a secondhand Sako 75 in 6.5x55mm.

It's a great calibre, and with the right load for you and your rifle will be all that you need - I shoot 140gr which some will say is undergunned for boar, but as I can hit v-bulls 9/10 @ 600yds, I'm not worried about my ability to place a shot on a static boar at 50-100...

Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more.

Enjoy the search for the right rifle though - it's half the fun

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

The .243 you use is legal for all deer species and will kill them all if you are accurate enough.

But if you want something else with a little more ooomph then the list is nearly endless and the debates can become heated on people's favourite calibres, but if you are after a rifle which complments the one you already have why not go for the 30-06? Then your .243 will shoot everything from 55gr to 110gr bullets, and the 30-06 will do everything from 110gr to 220gr bullets.

If you want one rifle, just the one to do everything, then I cannot get past the .308 winchester as the best all-rounder, although I do love my 6.5x55.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by cornwallmolecontrol View Post
    i am doing my dsc1 in 2 months and was wondering what would be the best all-rounder gun to have for reds and roes
    i have had a 243 before for fox shooting but have never tried any other cal.

The best all rounder for a beginner has to be a .243.

- Ammunition is readily avalible, I doubt there is a shop that sell's ammo that does not sell 243 rounds.
    - They are probably the most common centrefire calibre in the UK therefor are readily avalible second hand with a good second hand market for if you decide you no longer want a centrefire rifle.
    - Bullet weight and velocity can meet legal requirements for all deer

Sure a larger calibre may result in a slightly quicker take down of the larger species, but a well placed chest, neck or head shot with a .243 will ALWAYS kill, despite what some may say...

I started with a .243 and moved on through various other calibres ending up with .270 for red & sika & .22-250 for everything else. Now though I'm considering getting rid of the two and just going back to a .243, only thing stopping me is loosing out on the financial outlay I put into the .22-250 & the .270.

There is too much talk at times about which chambering or calibre is better than the next, and in accordance with the above posts if folk took time to read some ballistic charts they would see there is so little in it at stalking distances to not matter a jot.

Whilst some of those mentioned may well have more perceived recoil than the next, the use of sound moderators has all but removed that issue when choosing one.

Given your locality, if you are just starting out and are not sure about this or other kit, a visit to Gregor at 'McLeod's of Tain' will get you off on the right foot. He is a gentleman to deal with and carries a big stock of rifles. He will not try to sell you something if he genuinely does not think it will fit the bill or your budget...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Given your locality, if you are just starting out and are not sure about this or other kit, a visit to Gregor at 'McLeod's of Tain'

Cornwall to Tain might be a bit far for him

Given your locality, if you are just starting out and are not sure about this or other kit, a visit to Gregor at 'McLeod's of Tain' will get you off on the right foot. He is a gentleman to deal with and carries a big stock of rifles. He will not try to sell you something if he genuinely does not think it will fit the bill or your budget...
    The guy is in Cornwall, and you are suggesting MacLeod?

Geography anyone?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    ....Sure a larger calibre may result in a slightly quicker take down of the larger species, but a well placed chest, neck or head shot with a .243 will ALWAYS kill, despite what some may say... ...
    Not sure I follow the logic here. I've twice shot sika stags in the chest with a correctly placed shot and seen them run off. On both occasions they ran off approximately 100yds and were found stone dead and on both occasions there was no exit wound. To me that's not satisfactory, so when my 260 Rem is available, I use it to shoot sika stags/hinds.

My recommendation to the OP would be to get a .308 as there is a wide variety of ammunition available and for practice the OP can shoot F/TR.

Regards JCS

There is too much talk at times about which chambering or calibre is better than the next, and in accordance with the above posts if folk took time to read some ballistic charts they would see there is so little in it at stalking distances to not matter a jot.

Whilst some of those mentioned may well have more perceived recoil than the next, the use of sound moderators has all but removed that issue when choosing one.

Given that advice & opinion was asked for, I think you're a little harsh when all we've done is offer some up...

Rgds
    iain

PS 12 hours & 700 miles to see Gregor? As nice as he is, (and that's where my 6.5x55mm and scope came from) the cost of fuel alone would fund plenty of ammo, whatever the choice of calibre
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)