Thread: rebarrel

rebarrel

If you have a rifle rebarreled by a gunsmith and then it goto the proof house and blows up, as you are not to blame what is your course of action if any.

Quote Originally Posted by quiteman View Post
    If you have a rifle rebarreled by a gunsmith and then it goto the proof house and blows up, as you are not to blame what is your course of action if any.
    interesting problem! I'd think the only possible recourse you have is against the gunsmith (if he then wishes to pass the problem onto the proof house then that's his problem). I should think that you would have to prove that the explosion of the rifle was a result of the gunsmiths work being at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by quiteman View Post

Gunsmith is liable as the service he provided proved inadequate, ask him for a like for like replacement or compensation.

Any problems BASC would be a good port of call. After that small claims.

I'd imagine any reputable gunsmith would look after you if somehting like that happened.

sorry just to clarify
    Where did it blow up?
    The proof house or post sale/delivery to customer?

Option 1 then you still don't have the rebarrelled rifle as promised so dealer has to make good

Option 2 then I think you could be on sticky ground recovering anything from the gunsmith, afterall the proof house has passed it, maybe is was bum ammo, blocked barrel etc etc you might get some good will but liability? I am not so sure

This is a post MOT problem
    If you car passes the MOT if its brakes fail 50 miles down the road you have zero recourse of action against the tester.

I read it as being option 1, and in my opinion, I'd say that the only way that it's not the gunsmith's responsibility is if it is a barrel that you had purchased and asked him to fit. In this case, the responsibility would rest with the barrel's manufacturer or seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I read it as being option 1, and in my opinion, I'd say that the only way that it's not the gunsmith's responsibility is if it is a barrel that you had purchased and asked him to fit. In this case, the responsibility would rest with the barrel's manufacturer or seller.
    Or the smith might be able to get out of it if there was an inherent weakness in the action or something similar?

From the original post it sounds as is the rifle failed the proof test. Usually there is no recourse against the proof house, as the whole point is to make sure the firearm was safe to use.

In Short

the gun explodes = Gun was not safe
    Gun passes = gun safe

Have you had any details from the proof house as where the gun failed?

If the barrel failed, unless there is a guarantee from the manufacturer then tough luck, but if the action failed due to incorrect assembly by the gunsmith then you have a claim against him, if you can prove it.

Finally if it was a double failure of action and barrel due to the proof charge, again it is unfortunately tough luck. The only successful claims against a proof house I have heard of are where the firearm has passed, but the stock or other parts have been damaged whilst in their possession.

Nowhere near enough information to make any meaningful suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Nowhere near enough information to make any meaningful suggestions.
    +1

+2

If the Action failed proof, I suggest that its a blessing it did so at proof and not when your face was adjacent to the action....