Thread: New Guy

New Guy

Hi All, just getting into stalking and came across this site when I was looking for some gear I need to sort myself out with. This is my first season stalking and I shoot mostly in the west of ireland for fallow using a sako 85 in .308. Looking to sort myself out with a decent swarovski or similiar scope and some other optics and bits and pieces so I'll be keeking an eye on the for sale section

Viper

Welcome to the site. There's always good advice, and plenty of diverse opinion to be found on here. Just don't bite when some of the responses are a little direct though:-)

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by iainfarthing View Post
    Viper

Welcome to the site. There's always good advice, and plenty of diverse opinion to be found on here. Just don't bite when some of the responses are a little direct though:-)

Cheers
    iain

I'll try not to, the username is more in reference to the car than the snake!
    I see from your signature you have the very scope I'm looking for get for my stalking rifle, how do you find it? I'm struggling to justify the asking price to be honest but maybe some positive reviews might just push me over the edge...

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I'll try not to, the username is more in reference to the car than the snake!
    I see from your signature you have the very scope I'm looking for get for my stalking rifle, how do you find it? I'm struggling to justify the asking price to be honest but maybe some positive reviews might just push me over the edge...
    If you can afford the scope that you want, then absolutely go for it as quickly as you can. You really won't regret investing in good glass. Swaro was my personal choice, but I have friends with Leica, Minox, Zeiss, Trijicon and Nikon, and they all rave about how happy they are and how their scope is the best on the market etc etc etc...

I wanted the one rifle/scope combo to not only knock down anything in the UK, but also to play on the longer ranges at Bisley. I think I have all that I need for now, and if this is the scope for you, you'll not be disappointed.

I got the last of the Gen I from Gregor at Macleods of Tain, so you'll be into Gen II now if new. See if they have anything Previously Cherished though, as they do have a great list of secondhand kit

"Cry once" is used for decent scopes and binos, but if you buy well initially, you'll not cry at all:-)

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome to the site. I use a Swaro Z6 which I bought as an investment, and it's great! The best advice given to me when I started was to buy the highest quality glass (bins and scope) that you can afford as you need to see your target before you can shoot it! Good luck bud.

Cheers for all the comments guys. I agree totally with getting the best glass you can afford and thats why I'm keeping an eye out on a second hand one if possible, the best possible and a slightly more reasonably better price :-)