Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Moderator question.

Sound Moderator question.

Guys,

Need some help here.

I've got a .243 Howa 1500, hogue stock on hold at a shop, pre threaded etc. Question is I can't decide on what moderator to get with it. The shop state that they can do the T8 190 or the Wildcat Predator 12 for 195.

Having searched the internet, it seems there are pro's and cons for both, but cannot make my mind up as to what is the one for the gun (5 difference, it would be a shame to get the wrong one for the gun)

Anybody out there got same/similar setup and experience of either or both types of moderator?????

SS

This is my personal opinion and I would go for the Wildcat Predator 8.
    It is easy to strip down and does not corrode. Either model are good but the Wildcat has more pluses.

Steve.

i own a t8 and ive had it for years and shot hundreds of rounds through it and i love it a lot of people slate the t8 claiming it rusts out but i have had no problems with mine and would recomend one to anyone. a friend of mine shots a wildcat on his howa .243 and i think its slightly more noisy than my t8 but this could be down to me. i know i will be in the minority of people recomending the t8 but they are good mods

howa

My mate shoots the Howa .243 with a wildcat and they get on very well together. I have 2 wildcats but I must admit I am going off them a bit.

Sorry, no help at all really

Re: howa

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog
    My mate shoots the Howa .243 with a wildcat and they get on very well together. I have 2 wildcats but I must admit I am going off them a bit.

Sorry, no help at all really
    Is there any reason for that SDD?

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot
    i own a t8 and ive had it for years and shot hundreds of rounds through it and i love it a lot of people slate the t8 claiming it rusts out but i have had no problems with mine and would recomend one to anyone. a friend of mine shots a wildcat on his howa .243 and i think its slightly more noisy than my t8 but this could be down to me. i know i will be in the minority of people recomending the t8 but they are good mods
    SLA I was of the same opinion as you until today. My rifle is with Border Barrels getting a new barrel. when the Rifle Smith inspected the moderator he found it had a pin ***** size hole in it. Fortunately Border Barrels have aranged for it to be replaced under waranty. If I had the choice I wouldn't go for the T8 Again.

Dave

I used a T8 almost every day for over ten years, didn't molly coddle it particularly and it didn't rust.
    Last year I had a few clients turn up with Wilcat Predator 8's on an Estate I was helping with and could not tell the difference, sound wise, between the two.
    The beauty of the Wildcat is, as already pointed out, that it is modular and made of alloy so on that alone I would not hesitate to recommend the Wildcat.

I would go for an ASE jet z compact. Had no probs with mine, decided on this option after a mate had a T8 and it corroded out and marked the barrell from the gases.
    This can go on for ever, it's a bit of a marmite question.
    Just my opinion

Jonathon

mods

I would second that 243V, I have found the end cans better having owned most types over the years, I have a std Jet Z on a 270wsm & it is far better for it, I also have 2 Pes stainless end cans on a 30/06 & a 243 AI.

I just had loads of problems with the over barrel type, but appreciate that many people do get on fine with them.

The new pes end can on the 30/06 is only a shade over 500g & I think short of titanium its one of the lightest out there & at 175 from my mate at the gun shop its good value too.

Regs Lee

wildcat

Predator

Dont want to hijack this thread but my concerns are 2 fold.

The poly/plastic end piece in my .22/250 wildcat "furs" up. (this is not affected by cleaning) The furring only eased when 2 chips appeared in the end. It doesnt seem to have affected the accuracy but has made me doubt the quality of that piece. ( it is the right size and I have had no dodgy ammo down it)

The other issue is the modular nature, on the one hand to strip them down I often have to use a filter wrench cos some of the joints are so tight. On the other hand if I am not careful then the midpiece unscrews when I take the mod off the rifle so I have to double check its all tight before use. With a single piece can this wouldnt be an issue