Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optolyth 30X80 telescope

Optolyth 30X80 telescope

Some may have noticed that I was asking about Nickel telescopes recently and I've been looking around and they seem to come up fairly often, Cley Spy just sold one in very good nick but with no case for 50 for example.

However, it seems that the Optolyth straight draw scope might be a bit of a step up in quality and so I thought to ask if anyone might have one for sale? I'm especially interested in the 30X80 as it was a two draw scope but may consider some of the others as well and I'm not interested in the mini version.

I don't have the cash for Zeiss, Gray's or similar and this is only an experiment to see if I can get on with one and get some value out of it so the outlay has to be reasonable with a good chance of getting most of my money back on it if I sell it again because it doesn't suit me.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    Whilst the 30x80 is a 2 draw... its still very short! with regards to quality the nickel and optolyth are equal in the optics department, the only difference being that the optolyth has the rubber armouring. There's a couple of optolyths on ebay atm one being the 30x80 too!
    The optolyths are suited to a tripod or rested on a rock/branch/car window, whereas the hertel reuss/nickel being longer can be used in the tradition way aswell as the previous. It's all down to your style of use.

hope this helps

steve

ps. The grays are good...but not worth what they cost!!!!

keep your eyes on ebay as the last 1 i saw went for around the 200 mark.

SD Regular
    just noticed on ebay there's a s&b draw telescope.... looks remarkably identical to the hertel reuss/nickel...only branded differently and around 3 to 4 times more expensive!!!!
    There is also a a 2 draw grey & co of inverness on there for 150 but it now..... these were made specifically for hill stalking and i dont know how true it is but they were supposedly made for grey & co by Grays. I haven't looked through one of these as when i worked on the hill they had just come out and many stalkers were sceptical about them.

Chrisc is right... the optolyths usualy fetch near 200 quid and ive seen the hertel reuss ones go for 70 to 200 depending on paintwork and case.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Some may have noticed that I was asking about Nickel telescopes recently and I've been looking around and they seem to come up fairly often, Cley Spy just sold one in very good nick but with no case for 50 for example.

However, it seems that the Optolyth straight draw scope might be a bit of a step up in quality and so I thought to ask if anyone might have one for sale? I'm especially interested in the 30X80 as it was a two draw scope but may consider some of the others as well and I'm not interested in the mini version.

I don't have the cash for Zeiss, Gray's or similar and this is only an experiment to see if I can get on with one and get some value out of it so the outlay has to be reasonable with a good chance of getting most of my money back on it if I sell it again because it doesn't suit me.
    I have had an Optolyth 30X75 single draw model now for about 30 years and it is excellent.
    It is about 19 inches long when extended and when in its leather case is about 13 inches.
    This item has roof prisms which makes it shorter but fatter than the traditional Ross or Grays.
    It is rubber armoured and has a tripod bush on the main stem.
    Mine has been a faithful servant and has viewed many wonders of Mother Nature.
    .22 bullet holes are easily seen in the black of a target at 100 yards.
    HWH.
    Photo of the telescope on my rucksack, also a fine Irish Sika/Red Hybrid stag.
    Last edited by stag1933; 24-11-2012 at 18:37. Reason: Picture added.

Thank you to everyone for their replies and for the information. As this is a learning process for me all info is gratefully received and pictures are even better!

I thought to ask on here before getting too involved on ebay as I'd rather deal with a stalker if I can just on point of principle, though I have been watching ebay to get an idea of prices and so on. It must be said though Stephen I am tempted to the Graham's one as something to let me give the telescope a try and see if it works for me.

I had a look through one of the cheaper Grahams scopes the other month & was not very impressed. It seemed a bit cheap feeling & the optics weren't sparkling either. - I decided that it wasn't for me & am still looking for a draw scope for use on the hill.

Ian

Thank you Ian, I think that will rule out the Graham's one for me. In saying that at the sort of money I'm looking to spend I'm not expecting absolutely top notch optics but it is great to get first hand reviews.

SD Regular
    If you are going to use the telescope off a rock or stick etc. then go for an optolyth, they are very good optically and will stand upto alot of abuse. I did own 2 at one point.... the two draw 30x80 and a slightly longer single draw which was a variable....and i havent seen another since. I sold my 30x80 for 120 and swapped the longer one for one of those swarovski multipling eyepieces, that was about 7 years ago! The young hillkeeper that worked on the same aberdeenshire estate as i did used a 30x75 for spotting deer before heading off on his disgusting massacre duties (i wont go into detail) and he was a bit rough with his equipment and the optolyth never failed.
    Expect to pay upto 200 for one with a case, and you'll be on the mark. Don't however rule out a ceap hertel and reuss with case if one comes up!

steve

I have an Optolyth 22 x 70 in leather case, should that interest you at any point. Not quite the model you were after I know.
    It needs to go to a good home, no good here on the shelf.

Chris