Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: sighting problem

  1. #1

    sighting problem

    I have just bought a swarovski z5 scope and put it on my rifle today i went up to the target to sight it in and height wise it is fine but it is firing 1 inch to the left and the adjustment is already fully to the right and there are no more clicks to move it over. I have never had this problem before and was looking for any advice on what to do next. the scope is mounted on a sako 75 finnlight with optilok rings and bases. cheers

  2. #2
    I have a similar problem with my Ziess! I can get mine on target with several clicks to spare.. The advice i have had so far is to check mounts.. I have Loopy q/r's & i have swapped mine every which way possible to no avail !
    but if it is your mounts & you swap front to rear then you should have the opposite effect to what your experiencing now...
    my scope will be taking a trip back to ziess next week by the looks of things..

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    I have just bought a swarovski z5 scope and put it on my rifle today i went up to the target to sight it in and height wise it is fine but it is firing 1 inch to the left and the adjustment is already fully to the right and there are no more clicks to move it over. I have never had this problem before and was looking for any advice on what to do next. the scope is mounted on a sako 75 finnlight with optilok rings and bases. cheers
    Have you tried loosening the bottom half of the ring and turning it round through 180 degrees? You have eight options on how to arrange the bottom rings. If you have a scope aligner, you can check which option if any gives you the windage you need. You can also swap the front base ring to the rear position and vice versa. I've had the same type of issue in the past with elevation. It took 5 months, 3 (clueless) gunsmiths and several hundred pounds to sort out. I eventually ended up with Burris Signature rings and offset inserts. There was nothing wrong with my scope.

    Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 25-11-2012 at 07:10.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by soother223 View Post
    I have a similar problem with my Ziess! I can get mine on target with several clicks to spare.. The advice i have had so far is to check mounts.. I have Loopy q/r's & i have swapped mine every which way possible to no avail !
    but if it is your mounts & you swap front to rear then you should have the opposite effect to what your experiencing now...
    my scope will be taking a trip back to ziess next week by the looks of things..
    Try the scope on another rifle first before you send it for repair.


    Getting back to the original question. Savage you do have the correct bases for a sako and they are mounted in the correct position on the tapered dovetail ? It's most unusual to have problems with optilock bases and rings if they are mounted properly. Read the optilock instructions just to be sure they are available on the internet if you don't have them. When you are sure everything is correct and if you still have the same problem just like above try the scope on a known rifle and mounting system before assuming it is a fault with the scope. Scope faults do occur I have had a few myself but it's more often down to a mounting problem with some human error involved very often.
    Last edited by 8x57; 25-11-2012 at 08:05.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  5. #5
    post a picture of the scope mounted with a clear shot of bases and their orientation

    scopes are simple things, but they need to be pointed in the right direction

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Have you tried loosening the bottom half of the ring and turning it round through 180 degrees? You have eight options on how to arrange the bottom rings. If you have a scope aligner, you can check which option if any gives you the windage you need. You can also swap the front base ring to the rear position and vice versa. I've had the same type of issue in the past with elevation. It took 5 months, 3 (clueless) gunsmiths and several hundred pounds to sort out. I eventually ended up with Burris Signature rings and offset inserts. There was nothing wrong with my scope.

    Regards JCS
    I had the same issue with a set of rings, bought a one piece sako mount and rings which cured it.

  7. #7
    Have you moved the front base forwards or backwards? The position of the rear base is determined by the position of the stud which locates in a slot at the rear of the rail on top of the rifle, but moving the front scope base a milimetre forwards on a Sako with a tapered rail should move the point of impact 25 to 30 milimetres to the right at 100 metres.

  8. #8
    sorted mine today! well sort of... mounts!! swapped front to back & turned 180 degrees & its much better!

  9. #9
    Hi savage
    i don't wish to teach you to suck eggs but are the mounts fitted too close to the ojective or ajustment turret or any other than the 30mil tube it will put the scope out of true, i also have a sako 85 and have had the same problem as the base mounts were wrong, when i was buying a set of bases i did not think thay would be incorrect for the scope , i found i could not get the correct eye to scope that i wished so i had to the get a set of bases that gave me not only the correct placement on the scope but eye to scope s&b 8x56 . as follows is how i sorted my lack of ajustment. bases SAKO SHORT # S170956 were wrong for my scope as tubes were short and the F/ ring was to tight to front bell and not seating correctly pushing my scope out of line looked like >---[=---[< . So i got hold of GMK thay helped me sort my setup out. a set of SAKO SHORT # S170(R)956 base's were the order of the day and this sorted out the problem >--[-=-[--< . I think the "R" stands for fitted to rear of mount
    as you will see on sako site, forward mount looks like an _i AND NOT MINE ARE L now
    sorry tryed to get you a sako link but i could not copy and paste from site
    hope this helps

    paul o'
    Last edited by paul o'; 28-11-2012 at 13:07.

  10. #10
    thanks for all the sugestions. moved the front base foreward an inch and have enough clicks now, thanks 22-250. not sure if im happy with only having a few more clicks spare but at lest im up and running for the moment cheers. savage

Similar Threads

  1. 1st sighting of the year
    By bogwelly in forum Photos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 12:59
  2. Sighting in?
    By captdavid in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-03-2011, 14:12
  3. First sighting of the nightjar, summer must be here
    By Trufflehunting in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 22:15
  4. First sighting for me last night !
    By bigtedzzr in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-05-2010, 20:52
  5. First sighting of season
    By JAYB in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2008, 11:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •