Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 20" Varmint/B&N Contractor

Sako 85 20" Varmint/B&N Contractor

My FAC is now in with the local police for a .308. I have been trawling a few of the local gunshops seeing what is around. I had been thinking about a PH of some kind and then looked over a Sako 85 Varmint stainless with 20" fluted barrel and laminate stock. It was a little more front heave than a standard sporting rifle, but not significantly heavier. As I am not too far from Bisley it seemed a sensible route to go (20" fluted varmint) as it would cover range work/plinking and deer stalking. Does anyone have one of these, or one of the Brock and Norris .308 Contractor rifle and have any thought/feedback/strong views on them.

The Sako in stainless fluted and laminated stock was certainly nice eye candy, and felt comfortable too. however, I like to buy British whenever possible, and the B&N Contractor looks to be a pretty similar concept.

i have the same Sako in .243 i am very pleased with the rifle in every way and it has produced some silly small groups at long ranges

I have a Sako in the guise that you have stated and it is a cracking rifle. No need to change of upgrade anything. PH good rifles in their day - last century

wilf, go for the Sako, the Contractor is basically a worked over Howa action/barrel, bedded in to a composite stock and IMO an awful lot of money for what it is.
    Quality wise the sako wins hands down as well.

Ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 25-11-2012 at 00:11. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    wilf, go for the Sako, the Contractor is basically a worked over Howa action/barrel, bedded in to a composite stock and IMO an awful lot of money for what it is.
    Quality wise the sako wins hands down as well.

Ian.
    I agree with the above still only a howa at the end of the say. Thats not to say it wont shoot great. But the sako always hold there prices well.

The Sako is a far better bet

Sako. No question. Mine are all tack drivers

Why would you want anything else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2799.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	21958

The 85 Varmint in .308 is beautiful. Factory rifles don't get any better at that price.

I have Sako 85s in .22-250, (laminate/stainless) and .243 Bavarian, (blue/walnut) Both tack drivers and I am very satisfied with them.

Just finalised a load for my Sako 85 this morning. More than happy with the results I must say! 5 shots at 100m.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2857.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	22046