Thread: The last of the six

The last of the six

All other deer shot apart from sika and with an invertation to go and try for one was too good to miss out on.I had still to christen my new rifle so i thought if lady luck was on my side then what a way to end the stag season.(im one of those that if i didnt have bad luck id have no luck at all)

At 7am i stalked around the ground near Ardgay, i headed back towards the doe box for a brew,there were plenty of whistles from within the forestry block but nothing out in the open.
    I got back in the box and had just poured a brew and was sat glassing up an open area of hill nothing so it was then that i rolled a fag and thought "yep just my fooooking luck".
    The weather conditions was perfect,wind in my favour but no sika.I had been in there for aout 1hr and thought id give it another 30mins then im off for dinner.

One final glass of the hill and then im off,about 250yrds away off to my right i saw a white arse move and with its head down i was unable to make it out,no why is it you can look and look and see nowt then BINGO its been infront of you all the time?

Yep its a sika but it just kept heading up the hill away from me and with its head down,i had my fingers crossed for it to be a stag and it was then i gave a whistle,it just lifted its head up and boy it was a very good six pointer,please turn side on for uncle hornady i was saying,lol.
    At about the 275yard mark my prayers were answered broadside and still with a good rest i placed the cross hairs on the beast and i had to stop as i was shaking like a sh*tting dog,a couple of deap breaths and i was ready.

I took the shot and the beast just dropped and rolled down the hill,i reloaded and waited.Thats when it hit me that i had done the six and was bouncing around inside the doe box with fits of joy.Now i went up the hill,gralloched the beast and dragged it back down for the normal photo shoot and a well deserved fag and a wee dram.

As i was sitting back in the box some 45mins after the first shot a sika hind came out of the forest block to my left about 250yards away,i was just watching her when a stag came out about 15yrds ehind her,i started to shake like i was having a fit and just managed to text my mate to see what he wanted me to do as i didnt want to take the p*ss out of the invertation.The reply that came back was just 2 words "BANJO IT".

Another shot rang out and that too went down,a 7 pointer as it was damged poss in a fight.Another treck up the hill and back down again i was begining to feel like the grand old duke of york but without the men.It was that time in a mans life where he sits and reflects on the day and a great sence of wellbeing overcomes him.

What more could i ask for,christened my new rifle with not one but two sika stags.
    The rifle was a tikka t3 in 338 winmag using a 225grain SST over 72.5grains of Reloder 19.Now most people will say that its an over kill or carcase damage will be too much,well have a look at the pics as the exit hole is no bigger than a 20p.

A big thanks to matt for making an old man very happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sika4.jpg   sika11.jpg   sika13.jpg   sika15.jpg  
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Well done! Nice write up and nice photos.

Sounds like a cracking day, congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    What more could i ask for,christened my new rifle with not one but two sika stags.
    The rifle was a tikka t3 in 338 winmag using a 225grain SST over 72.5grains of Reloder 19.Now most people will say that its an over kill or carcase damage will be too much,well have a look at the pics as the exit hole is no bigger than a 20p.
    I was thinking that it was lucky to have had your first two sika stags just drop, and then I realised why!

What was the damage like inside?

well done mate, good write up

Well done on getting your sika x 2, cracking write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Sounds like a cracking day, congratulations

I was thinking that it was lucky to have had your first two sika stags just drop, and then I realised why!

What was the damage like inside?
    about the same i get with my .308 with 150grn sst

you need to return the favour Mick and get me some Fallow, CWD and munties

nice write up though fella and well done.. see you during the week

allready on with it mate,poss invite for next year for munty and cwd.give you a bell later mate

Great write up of what seems to have been a perfect day. Well done.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.