Sub Sonic Load

sikadog

Can anyone help with a subsonic load for a 22-250, the reason for asking is sometimes I am asked to shoot foxes close to expensive horses.
Some are pure thoroughbred and very flighty.
Cheshire Firearms wont allow rimfire for foxes.

sorry to sidetrack
Cheshire Firearms wont allow rimfire for foxes. ???????
at appropriate ranges accurate .22 and .17 are lethal for foxes.
so everyone has to get an extra, hv .222 if they might bump into a fox.

Last edited:
Trailboss info is on the Hodgdon website, don't think you'll get subsonic though, iirc, 1600fps is as low as they recommend.

I wonder how Cheshire are able to justify not allowing .22LR for foxes, given that the HO Guidance para 13.23 seems OK with the idea.

Last edited:
Badbob
You can not get rimfire on your FC in Cheshire for foxes, 22 mag and 17 HMR ok but both too much noise

I thought that 22 WMR and 17 HMR were rimfires :confused:
You say they are ok but too much noise, moderated I still think that they will be quieter than a downloaded 22-250.
Perhaps trapping and humane dispatch at another site is a better alternative?
I am not a big fan of thoroughbreds either having done extensive tree work around various race tracks/stables. I know what you mean about flighty, you only need to look at them wrong. Theres also the issue that most of them are worth big bucks and if they injure themselves because of something that you have done you're right up the creek without a paddle.....

Hi
I dont see what difference there is between a subsonic .22RF load and a subsonic 22-250 load both are the same if using the same bullet weight and velocity? according to your FEO you cant use this type of load. confused!!

steve

Not sure why you are bothered. We shoot quite a few in big fields full of horses and they are more bothered by a .22lr sub sonic than a C/F. Lamp causes the most issues. Would be v concerned that sub sonic C/F will not have the velocity to completly fragment. Better option would be a .17 C/F very quiet and 20 grn bullet vapourises inside fox and little to no chance of any richochett/overtravel.

D

yes it will.

personally I find that the whole shooting foc with a .22lr is a little overblown.

your conditions are the reason you want to own and the main reason you chose said rifle.
If you choose to shoot crows with your .243 whilst out stalking you are not in breach of any firearms law and as yet NO-ONE has ever been prosecuted solely for shooting quarry that is not on their FAC.

it is self regulating conspiracy that the black helicopters will decend if you pop a charlie with a .22lr. Who are these people that will be enforcing it?
probably the most used utility cartridge/calibre by keepers slotting anything they happen to come across on their rounds

Back