What a week...!

Hi folks!
After a very memoriable week with some great driven hunts, I thought, I let you know about it...

We had a driven hunt in one of my areas on Tuesday. After spooking some boars while marking trees on Monday afternoon I was really concerned about them being so "nervous", that they may leave the hunting area right when we and the shooters go into the area, so well before the drive will start... We started early on Tuesday morning, and right, after dropping off the last hunter in my group on his stand, the first shots were fired: The boars were already on the move and left the hunt!
During the drive nothing spectacular happened, I saw some roe, let a fox go (why shooting it in the woods, when not using the skin?) and heard some shots being fired... At about lunchtime we had 4 roes and 3 boars down, not too bad, so far.
After some nice venison stew, we were out again for the second drive, a large area of old growth beech with over all natural seedlings which present a dense cover. I got placed next to a thickness, very closed to the open fields, a perfect spot, but the wind was blowing hard towards the thickness, so I didnt expect anything to show up... A lot of shots were fired, some dogs hunting around something, but nothing at my place. Then I heard some breaking brunches and there it came: A nice size boar heading directly towards me... I was ready. Then I could feel the wind in my neck and the boar winded me, turned left on about 80 meters and just disappeared back in the thicknes... So this day ended with 7 roes, 4 foxes and 10 boars, the best result ever taken in this area... The best thing is:There are a lot of boars left for another smaller hunt this winter!!

Next driven hunt on Thursday in the forest district from Albas breeder, my friend Matthias:
A huge amount of hunters, something like 80 hunters, a lot of paying guests in this state forest owned area... We got told, that there should be a lot of boars in the drive, because they came back from the fields after the crops got cut... When driving in the woods I could see, what they were talking about: Boar signs and damage all over the place! When going on my stand, the first shots were fired, sometimes I realized to be in some kind of war scene, but my place: blank... I contacted Matthias, not complaining, but somehow disappointed... He let me know, that there is boar all around, I should stay passioned... Then I heard the beaters and dogs coming, but there was another noise a bit closer.. I got up and ready and there it was: a nice male boar, running out of the thickness, stopping 15 meters next to me, but in an area I wasnt allowed to shoot in, because of safety... Then the keiler realised me, and started speeding up, a quick focus, a quick aiming and a even quicker shot: it dropped right in its tracks in full speed! Great!!
Then we had a short break for cleaning the game we took so far, I did the bloody job and had a short talk to the dog handlers who showed up at my place and then back on the stand for the next 1,5 hours... I saw several boars, all far, far away, nothing to shoot.
Then, about 20 minutes before the end, I spotted a boar yearling, running downhill, heading not directly towards me, but it would be maybe getting into my reachable distance... It disappeared into a little creek, got out again and tried to sneak to a young spruce stand 70 meters in front of me. I found a little gap in the dense cover and when the head showed up, the bullet went out, no further move, dropped in its tracks again!
So I was a more than happy hunter:
View attachment 21845
We ended up with 48 boars and 33 roes, a fantastic result:
View attachment 21844
OK, about the drive from yesterday, we shouldnt speak too much: It was just too foggy:
View attachment 21846
We got back, a very disappointed landowner, only 2 boars and 10 roes... We expected something around 20+ boars, so we have to come back for another try!!

But this is going to be another, hopefully successful story....

Last edited:
A great write up Micheal.

Some healthy looking boar.

Good luck with Wayne.

Hopefully catch up when you are next over.

Regards

Jonathon

Hi Jonathon!

Thanks, or as we would say: "Waidmannsdank!"
We will try hard again for the smelly sheep, they are rutting, so a lot of movement....
Smelly sheep and Wayne should fit perfectly, what do you think?:rofl:
Yes, always nice to meet friends of Wayne, to share the fun of hunting together, I hope to be over at Waynes place in 2013, who knows?...

Atb

Michael

Waidmannsheil Michael.

A great write up ad a fantastic sounding week!

So am I also right in thinking this is your long awaited keiler?

Working hard again mate :rolleyes: looks like you been having fun, shame about the fog for Gundolf I guess he will have another hunt.

See you Thursday.

Wayne

Waidmannsheil Michael.

A great write up ad a fantastic sounding week!

So am I also right in thinking this is your long awaited keiler?

Waidmannsdank, my friend!
Too bad, its not the big ole Keiler i am still waiting for... Just number xxx of a young, good size (76 kg cleaned) 2 year old boy....
But I keep on working!!! Be sure....
Hey, I just found a lonely glove in Willebadessen,must be yours??
Send me the details about the Fjällraven clothes to give you some prices....
OK, back to stupid office work,
speak soon

Michael

Working hard again mate :rolleyes: looks like you been having fun, shame about the fog for Gundolf I guess he will have another hunt.

See you Thursday.

OK, my friend, just a few more days of work....
Its supposed to get some snow and cold weather :norty:
Bring warm clothes with you, we will be out a lot, its full moon, maybe plus snow... sounds like fun!!

See you in Düsseldorf!!

Michael

Good luck Wayne, I hope you catch up with your Mouflon! Geraint was 'keeping one warm for you' when we were over a few weeks ago!

Nice going Michael. WMH

As i said to you in a PM our driven hunt only brought us 1 wild boar, a fox and a roefawn that broke its neck falling down from a steep hill, so had to be put down by the dogman. Our participating neighbours had only 2 foxes (with 12 shots fired :oops: ). Luckily we did better 4 shots, 3 on the boar (1 missed) and 1 on the fox where taken. But pretty asthonising as we see regularly between 30 and 100 wild boar on our fields. Where are they on the driven hunt????:evil:. We do not shoot roe on our driven hunt, saw loads and loads of roe so we have to cull some more or our Forster will be "angry".

Couple of British friends where over for a few days and they got 2 boar on fields with fresh winter wheat (in a area we do not include in the driven hunt).

Einen " Waidmansheil " fur die jagd und artikel , schone bilder und gute strecke ;
I hope you could do some ,nachsuche " with your dogs ;
But all the best from Belgium .

i was watching 2 Mouflon about 30 yrds from my seat out there wayne, hopefully you will catch up with them!

i was watching 2 Mouflon about 30 yrds from my seat out there wayne, hopefully you will catch up with them!

Thanks very much I got within 60-70 yards last time but just too dark, Oh well its fun trying but not too good on Michaels nerves :lol:

Back