Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teckel help

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Teckel help

Now I'm not a first time dog owner and I have to say that my teckel dog pup has got me scratching around for some answers already.
    The pup is a dog. He is now 4months 1week old. I have owned him for 2 weeks. I am not heavy handed with him. He is 1/2 house trained.

Here's the problem, he won't come to being called and often doesn't even acknowledge your presence. It is so infuriating that I thought he maybe slightly deaf, but tonight a dog barked in the distance and he turned round and barked back. So I know he can hear ok. He's also refusing to go out if I call him. When I go to pick him up he hides under the table.

Have any of you Teckel owners had any similar experiences? How did you overcome them?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Phew. To think I was nearly the owner of that dog. Ha ha.
    I shouldn't joke, I get mine next month so I might be posting a similar thread in January.

On a serious note though from what iv read and people iv spoke to they can be a bit like that until they realise their purpose in life and that its you that give them the opportunity to do what they love doing.

Good luck.
    Matt.

Food treats will transform his hearing! If you only call him to correct him be will ingnore you!

best advice i can give is keep him as a house dog like ours .
    and come and get a gwp pup for your stalking you wont regret it regards pete .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Food treats will transform his hearing! If you only call him to correct him be will ingnore you!
    Not calling him to correct him just going outside with him.

Roedinator, sorry but don't do house dogs and GWP to big

I'll get round him, just a crappy day, being hemmed in by the weather
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Not calling him to correct him just going outside with him.

Roedinator, sorry but don't do house dogs and GWP to big

I'll get round him, just a crappy day, being hemmed in by the weather
    if he sees going outside as a game he will be more willing to go. If you take him outside to do a pee only he will probably not do one and wait until he gets in the warm!

I sympathise, they can be awkward little b*****s! Ours is now 6 months old and generally has good recall however we do have "deaf" moments. Have you tried using a whistle? I find ours responds better to that when we're out and about. I also carry treats in my pocket. She gets rewarded when she responds to the recall. If I want to put her out for a pee I just pick her up and take her out, it's so much easier. I must say I have never used any of these methods with the GSP'S they just listened and did as they were told but Teckels do seem to be a law unto themselves. Be patient (and inventive with your training methods!) two weeks is not long. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I know 2 weeks isn't enough,they can be just so infuriating. It's like his mother gave him some lessons before he left on what buttons to press!! He does get a bit better each day but they are very tiny steps. We absolutely had some moments today. He nearly always sits on command. He's just now decided that sometimes he'll have a go at doing it 30m from you, look straight at you and wait until you act all daft before he'll come the rest of the way.
    However I think there maybe light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a very faint one. He's showing some very terrier like characteristics. i.e. loves a good fight, gets wound up when fighting, loves a game of 'fight you for the toy', I'm starting to think that this is the way in.

Please persevere mines not a teckel but 2cockers , these to are to say the least not the most cooperative of dogs but as already said use a whistle whenever you feed it or give it a treat , we used liver cake (it stink something rotten ) take all training very slow and don't shout too loud, even now mine both get a mad one on once in a while but they both are stars in whatever I ask the to do, so don't give up they will show you how much their worth bazil

Don't move towards the pup when you give a recall command. Give the command, catch his eye and then leg it the other way. Curiosity can often overcome that initial hurdle followed by huge praise 'when he catches you' if you see what I mean. My teckel was a wee bugger but he came great when he switched from puppy to dog although he never really grew up like English springers or labs do.