Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New gun ?

New gun ?

Was thinking of a new gun was trying to decide on either a .357 or a 30 30?

Going to be used for range and hunting if possible not sure if deer legal ?

Also what ranges can I expect with each ?

Thanks

From your question I take it that you don't already stalk Hulse, .357 mag will fail to meet the required energy level even for the smaller species of deer. On the other hand .30-30 just meets the required energy level for the larger species of deer.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for the reply yes I do currently stalk, looks like a 30 30 it is. What range are they good for ?

There are a couple of previous threads on the site about lever actions, most would say that a .30-30 lever action is good for up to about 150 yards so more suited to woodland stalking. You mention using it on a range also, I take it you don't mean a pistol range. The two cartridges are in two totally different categories the one is a pistol round and suitable for gallery rifle events (with the right cartridge) and the other is a rifle cartridge though at the lower end of the power scale. Your best bet is to look up the energy levels each cartridge achieves either in a loading manual or the internet and consider the legal minimum power levels as required by the various deer acts.

Hello Hulse, I think you've made the right choice.Like 8x57 says the 30 30 is good out to about 150 yrds on deer sized game. I,ve owned and used rifles in both calibers, the 3030 is a good deer and black bear round and is still very popular out here. As a matter of fact , Ive known quite a few old timers and northern cree who used their 30 30's on everything, including moose and grizzly. None of them felt undergunned as far as I remember, they just got in close and put the shot where it counted.
    I've never shot big game with the 357 so I cant say one way or another how effective it is on deer, but there are alot of guys who's opinion I respect that swear by them for short range deer hunting.
    I'm not familiar with the minimum energy levels that are required in the different areas in the UK but the 30 30 170 gr RN factory loads generally run about 1800 to 1850fpe at the muzzle and about 1300 to 1350fpe at 100 yrds, by the time they get to 200 yrds they're usually just under 1000 fpe.
    The 150gr RN have about 1900fpe at the muzzle, about 1250 to 1300 fpe at 100 yrds and 800 to 900 fpe at 200 yrds. Apparently the Hornady Leverlution ammo is flatter shooting and has better energy retention due to its bullet design , but to be honest I've never bothered trying it. The original loadings work just fine within the range limitations of the rifles that use them so I've never felt the need to try and improve on them.
    Just my personal preferance but I'd lean towards a Marlin 336, they just have more features that I like.Hope this helps you out.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by Hulse View Post
    Thanks for the reply yes I do currently stalk, looks like a 30 30 it is. What range are they good for ?
    Zero yards if you venture north into Scotland. This factory ammo doesn't achieve a deer legal velocity for use in Scotland.
    Federal Premium - Rifle Details
    Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Zero yards if you venture north into Scotland. This factory ammo doesn't achieve a deer legal velocity for use in Scotland.
    Federal Premium - Rifle Details
    Regards JCS
    I think Alberta boy may being a little generous with the power levels, I have read that .30-30 is only just over the magic 1700Ft/Lb required in England & Wales for the larger species but I'm not sure on that one. A .357 falls far short of the power levels required for even the smaller species of deer. That's not to say that both calibres aren't used in other parts of the world.

Wow. You guys are seriously underselling the 30-30. Hornady factory JSP 150 grain clocks just under 2400 fps for 1900+ ft/lbs. The Factory 170 Interlock does 2200 fps for just over 1800 ft/lbs ME. ~Muir

(And countless N. American deer haven't noticed any lack!)
    Last edited by Muir; 29-11-2012 at 13:34.

the problem is that on those figures both loads would be illegal to use in Scotland though ok south of the border

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    the problem is that on those figures both loads would be illegal to use in Scotland though ok south of the border
    I know. I was correcting a bit of understatement.~Muir