Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German shepherds

German shepherds

I know this will probably be regarded as a stupid question but has anyone used a german shepherd dog for deer tracking? We have 1, he's not bothered by gunfire, fireworks or any sort of explosion and snuffs like a truffle hound when he's out with us.
    D

I have a german shepherd who has a fantastic nose for deer, only problem is he is not steady enough (he thinks he is fast enough to catch them). I would be happy to use him for a lost animal tho (thankfully not been an issue).
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

Used one years ago when my Lab bitch was looking after pups. Wasn't trained to do find deer but she took to it like a duck to water. I think if you put the time and effort in they would make a cracking deer dog.

Al

That sounds encouraging. I know he's too hard mouthed for retrieving birds but we'll try training him for tracking and see how he fares.
    D.

Grandad (as a gamekeeper) always used em back in the 50-70's

but i know little about it he died when i was young

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
    That sounds encouraging. I know he's too hard mouthed for retrieving birds but we'll try training him for tracking and see how he fares.
    D.
    You say about hard mouthed (and mine has teeth like a land shark, which he is not shy of using) but he will also pick new laid eggs out of our chicken coop and bring them into the house, hasnt even cracked one yet.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

[Grandad (as a gamekeeper) always used em back in the 50-70's

Thats some bag of deer your grandpa grassed FGYT
    Last edited by Dragunov; 26-11-2012 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by hughsurrey View Post
    You say about hard mouthed (and mine has teeth like a land shark, which he is not shy of using) but he will also pick new laid eggs out of our chicken coop and bring them into the house, hasnt even cracked one yet.
    That sounds even more encouraging. As soon as this mud bath dries out a bit we'll take him on the fields and try training him. Who knows even at 3 years old he may learn new tricks.
    D

At three he has probably just stopped being a silly bollox lol

No Hugh he's still puddled. Don't think he'll ever grow up.