Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding free permissions around Berkshire

Finding free permissions around Berkshire

Hello
    I have had my FAC for a year now but have failed to find a single free permission as it seems so rare in Berkshire. Has anybody got tips? I have offer swap/help, knocked on a million doors, offered free pest control, even doing free web sites to the farmers, giving back free cooked dishes... but still nothing. I don't think their is anything wrong about me - I start to think it is impossible! Pls help with ideas. Thanks a lot in advance!

You're kidding, right?

The words 'free', 'stalking' and 'Home Counties' are mutually incompatible. They are close to being incompatible everywhere unless you are well connected.

But I suspect this is a wind up...

I would be very happy to pay for permission never mide get it free
    amberdog

Quote Originally Posted by Amberdog View Post
    I would be very happy to pay for permission never mide get it free
    amberdog
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Hello
    I have had my FAC for a year now but have failed to find a single free permission as it seems so rare in Berkshire. Has anybody got tips? I have offer swap/help, knocked on a million doors, offered free pest control, even doing free web sites to the farmers, giving back free cooked dishes... but still nothing. I don't think their is anything wrong about me - I start to think it is impossible! Pls help with ideas. Thanks a lot in advance!
    Hi Napoleon,

This is the age old question.
    You will find plenty of old threads on this issue.
    It's very hard to find ground nowadays even if you have cash, more people less space and it won't get any easier any time soon.
    You have to look at it from a land owners point of view. He will get plenty of people asking each year and even if he has a deer or vermin issue he is very unlikely to pick a total stranger to walk his land with a rifle. Would you??

The best way is through contacts and word of mouth. Try to meet landowners or stalkers and make contacts/friends.
    Most of all take it slow, if you do make a contact or two don't go and ask them straight away give it time and they may offer it.
    It has taken me 7yrs to get permition from one farm!
    GOOD LUCK.

its possible but there is no formula. I have got some through work, small bits that would attract no serious comercial interest but with enough deer to make it worth going out. Also get the chance to help out on the occasional cull that sort of thing. sometimes the person in a possition to yey or nay you has no interest in the deer so it doesnt need to be a case of having qualifications or expieriance. The last bit I got (in oxford)was from someone who hunts who was slightly cagey (understandable) initially. They have had some damage to a bluebell wood since and they are glad that im knocking a few deer down and also that someone is getting pleasure from their farm.
    Now, I have to work pretty hard for my deer but to get a few bits of ground (although small) for free is a real privalage and to keep it you need to understand what the landowner wants and deliver.
    The best bit of ground I had I got as a friend rented a cottage on the farm. He told me the farmer kept his rifle in the tractor and flattened any deer he saw and saw them as vermin, still doubt I would have got on with out the personal intro though. That farm got sold to a large charitable trust that had its own management in place so I lost out. I wasnt bitter as I had had 6 years of quality roe and muntjac stalking for nothing. Shame though I loved that place.

Best of luck

Pete

Pah, a year?? You haven't even started the ground work yet...!

Seriously though, it does exist - until last year I had 1,500 acres of good ground in Berkshire which was FOC (OK, so half the venison sale proceeds to the landowner, but then I suppose we kept the other half so actually got paid to stalk But that took years to get and in the end I lost it over a load of politics which had nothing at all to do with me and totally out of my control.

However, I was out twice over the weekend on different pieces of good ground in and around the Thames valley - both FOC and both the land owners were delighted that I could help - "call me any time, really appreciate your help". I had built relationships with both over a period of many years though, relationships that weren't founded on me trying to get stalking out of them!

Also consider going beating on local shoots - you think a single handed gamekeeper wants to be messing around chasing muntjac this time of year with such short days and so much feeding etc to do? But again, takes a while - don't expect to rock up one week and expect to be asked stalking the following. It's a long term thing (which may come to nothing) so you need to actually enjoy the beating in the first place and not see it as just a means to an end. But shoots do attract shooting people so no better place to start building relationships...

Im afraid it seems money talks in this game the more you have the higher the ladder you can climb. Napoleon keep trying somthing will come along but when it dose keep it close to you there is always some one that will be willing to take what you have.
    Last edited by crouch valley; 27-11-2012 at 16:25.

You have to work in the country to play in the country. Beating as stated is a way into country sports, when the 'keeper knows you well everyone around will ask his opinion of you. 'Keepers hear lots of stuff that is never written down or read in print and will pass on names of good guys and piss on the chances of chancers. Mole control or other jobs done without reward (don't even begin to suggest pigeon shooting is work) will help cement your right to play in the countryside. And that's what it really boils down to, dropping an odd deer on a warm July morning without recourse to a broad scale deer control plan in liaison with the neighbours is just sport and just like golf you either have to pay for a round or you have to earn your invitation.