Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What additional reloading gear do I need.......?

What additional reloading gear do I need.......?

Having just inherited a Dillon press, case tumbler, a set of rcbs 10/10 scales and a kinetic hammer, aside from raw ingredients, what else do I need to get reloading?( I know I need to get a set of dies clearly although recommendations would be appreciated).
    i am after a list of essentials, not luxuries, things like do I need a case trimmer, are calipers, essential? Forgive my ignorance, but I'd like to know where I'm at and where I need to be!

Thanks in advance

andy.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Having just inherited a Dillon press, case tumbler, a set of rcbs 10/10 scales and a kinetic hammer, aside from raw ingredients, what else do I need to get reloading?( I know I need to get a set of dies clearly although recommendations would be appreciated).
    i am after a list of essentials, not luxuries, things like do I need a case trimmer, are calipers, essential? Forgive my ignorance, but I'd like to know where I'm at and where I need to be!

Thanks in advance

andy.
    priming tool and a set of calipers to measure seating depth and you're good to go for a basic set
    might also be wise to buy a basic case cleaning / prep kit aswell
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Andy,
    i haven't been reloading rifle cartridges for very long but i started out with,
    second hand press, second hand micrometer,load data,dies,s/h powder funnel,S/h scales,case trimmer, primer pocket cleaner, de- bur/chamfer tool, case holder ( i use mtm 50 round Box instead) and, as a luxury, i found a cheap ultrasonic cleaner at aldi. Worked for me.
    Extra Luxuries,that I have since added include a bullet comparator to batch my bullets and measure oal to ogive, and a kinetic hammer which i have only used four times so far. Lube and pad to full length resize and an oal gauge ( which i no longer use ).
    I use the lee deluxe dies in .243 and can't fault them.
    Fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    priming tool and a set of calipers to measure seating depth and you're good to go for a basic set
    might also be wise to buy a basic case cleaning / prep kit aswell
    The Dillon 550 has an in-built priming system

Digi calipers are useful - even the Aldi sets at about 15 do the job

Thanks all, calipers are a must then, what about case trimming, or is this not something I need to worry about quite yet?

start reloading them first then youll probably need to trim safter a couple of firings

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Thanks all, calipers are a must then, what about case trimming, or is this not something I need to worry about quite yet?
    Spud beat me to it, but for around 6or7 quid you can get a lee case trimmer to be safe.
    cheers, Fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by HotDogsForTea View Post
    Spud beat me to it, but for around 6or7 quid you can get a lee case trimmer to be safe.
    cheers, Fatty.
    nearer 8 with collet

I'm assuming you are reloading rifle cartridges i.e. bottleneck.

So you will need case lubricant. Imperial sizing wax is recommended, but in fact all the best sizing lubes are just lanolin. Mink oil boot polish, propshield antifouling grease, or lanolin from your vet are all the same stuff.

Case length trimmer essential for peace of mind. The Lee cutter/gauge/lockstud is cheap as chips, foolproof and does the same job as the most expensive.

Chamfer tool to smooth the trimmed cases, but some steel wool or emery cloth just as good.

Dies: Lee "deluxe" set gets you a full-length die, neck die, seating die (dead length, no crimp) and a shellholder. The best value and great accuracy.

I'd say ogive comparator to fit to (Aldi/Lidl) digital calipers is essential. Simply measuring COAL is unreliable and tells you little about bullet jump. Hornady version with calibre specific insert, or the hex nut multi calibre tool are both good. The adjunct to the comparator is a length gauge, but you can improvise this with e.g. a fired case, a bullet and a drop of 5 minute araldite.

You have the scales to measure powder, but will also need something like some Lee scoops (a single suitable one is included in the Lee die set) and either a trickler, or a steady hand with the scoop to fine-adjust the powder charge. A chemistry lab spatula, or even a small teaspoon also works A proper powder funnel helps to pour it into the case, but you may already have a small kitchen one that will do the job. Depending on the design of the pan on your scales, you may find a funnel unnecesssary.

Finally, the most essential tool for reloading is a Chronoscope. Anybody reloading without one, particulary to develop deer-legal loads, is frankly just playing about. Unless you KNOW your muzzle velocity, spread, variation with powder charge etc. you are just guessing. When you know your muzzle velocity you can really use ballistic software properly. Re-test with every new tub of powder, change of primer, case manufacturer. Prochrono Digital highly recommended. Don't buy the cheapest foldy-up ones, a few quid more gets you a much better tool.

Strange one this I have been reloading for 22 years and never owned a chronoscope or chronograph for that matter, I will have to ask all the Deer heads on my dining room wall if they noticed
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY