Lots of Firsts for me...

Quercus

I though I'd let you all know that after months of anticipation, I finally went out for my first proper stalk with Leec6.5 (I’ve had a go “hunting” Axis and White Tail in Texas before, but that’s obviously a lot different to the way we do things here). In what started off as a very early Sunday morning (practically Saturday so I could drive across to Norfolk), we were out for several hours in which we only managed to see lots of does. After a break for some much needed coffee we finally came across a roe buck, carefully stalked into position and brought it down with a heart/lung shot. Lee then allowed me to handle the knife and talked me through my first gralloch (with a bit of help).

I’m having a few issues with photo bucket but I’ll get a picture up as soon as possible. Although in the scheme of things he’s just a cull buck, he’s certainly a gold medal to me! I’m still on a high at the moment from the unbelievable amount of adrenaline pumping through my body! The final part of the stalk, in which we had to get into position in the middle of a field, my heart going at a rate of knots, but in retrospect its amazing how focused it makes you. With this and the sheer beauty of the fauna and flora at that time of the morning, I can see why stalking has such a following.

Now it’s back to the books as I’ve got my DSC level 1 course at next week. The actual experience of stalking helped translate what I have been learning into practice. I also brought the carcase home and I’ve been busy getting myself familiar with what is what, plus having a go at preparing it for the table. So all in all, I’ve been learnt one hell of a lot in a short space of time I’m a very happy chappy indeed. I’m very much looking forward to my next time out and learning some more (hopefully I'll have my own rifle by then).

Just like to say a big thanks to Lee, not only for taking me out and getting me on my first roe, but since first making contact with him on this site, he has gone out of his way to help me with my FAC application (interview tonight!), getting all the kit I need to get out stalking and answering the countless questions a novice like myself has. A truly genuine and honest gentleman and a credit to the stalking community.

All the best,
David

Thats what makes this site heads and shoulders above all the others. People helping like minded people, novices or not makes no difference.

Congratulations to both of you and well done to Lee6.5 for being so generous in offering an opportunity to someone for their first deer. I hope its the beggining of many more happy days in the field for you :D

All the best

Sikamalc

Thanks for the offer of help basil - the issue that I'm having at the moment is that I'm at work where we have embedded Java disabled. They tell me its for security reasons but I'm sure its there to stop us doing things like this!

I'll give it a go when I get home tonight but if I have any more trouble I'll PM you.

Cheers,

David

Well done and congratulations David. I know that feeling only to well. It was only a few months back and I had an almost identical situation as yourself. Don't worry about your Level 1, as long as you have read the manual a few times you will be fine. They basically go over everything again on the course.

Good luck and well done again.

Steve.

Well done David.
The feeling will stay with you. Its nearly 2 weeks since my 1st buck and I am still telling everyone who will listen!
Good luck on your DSC1. I found it very enlightening and a must do for novices.

Well done again

Russ

Thanks for the kind words.

Sikamalc, I fully agree - before I had found this site I had no idea where to start. Within a week or two of joining I was in touch with someone willing to help and the proverbial ball started rolling. I'm sure I'm not the only member who has been in this or a simialr situation either......

David ,

i have to say you a pleasure to stalk with on Sunday , the deer WERE making things difficult but i think it was the coffee that brought us luck !
i hope things go well for you this evening with your feo , and i look forward to our next outing !!

kind regards

lee

FEO just left, all seems quite positive. Now just have to await final decision by post.

Right, first attempt with the photo......

31052009018.jpg

I love Tattershall the check.
David
as Russ said , you will be on adrenalin for a few days yet ! excellent first , which you will treasure , I find that each success hereafter, equates to my first !!.( Pure pleasure). when I get blas'e I will take a break.
Well done .
Trapper

Many congratulations David, a nice Buck for your first. I took mine a few weeks ago & still talk about it to any one who will listen. :D

Chris

Sounds Like a cracking outing. I got my first Muntjack with Lee 6.5 a few years ago and that was also a masively positive experiance.

Dave

Back