Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipod for prone and sitting shots?

Bipod for prone and sitting shots?

I have a Harris bipod 9-13inch which is great for prone shots, but to be honest prone shots are not very usual for me when in the field. Is there a length of bipod that would allow me to use it for sitting shots (i'm about 6 ft) and still go low enough to allow a prone shot if needed?

All the best,
    Mike

My Harris bipod is approx 2ft long when fully extended, I'm 6'3" and can comfortably take sitting shots. Not sure exactly which model it is though.

Tom

Edit - believe it to be the S-25 model.
    Last edited by tjwaines; 26-11-2012 at 20:22.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    My Harris bipod is approx 2ft long when fully extended, I'm 6'3" and can comfortably take sitting shots. Not sure exactly which model it is though.

Tom
    Thats good to know Tom, does it go low enough to allow prone shots if needed? (although this would be a secondary concern for me I guess).

Think it's 12" when it's fully retracted, which for me is absolutely fine for a prone shot.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I have a Harris bipod 9-13inch which is great for prone shots, but to be honest prone shots are not very usual for me when in the field. Is there a length of bipod that would allow me to use it for sitting shots (i'm about 6 ft) and still go low enough to allow a prone shot if needed?

All the best,
    Mike
    Mike. I am not quite as tall as you and I use one of these - Harris Bipods HB25S Adapter I don't often use it for sitting, I mostly use it fully retracted for prone shots or extend it slightly to shoot prone but get above the heather/bracken. I have in the past had one of these - Harris Bipods HB25C Adapter but found it a stretch when shooting from the prone position. Regards JCS

Thanks Tom, Think I have found the one you're talking about on uttings Harris Model S-25 Bipod 12-25 Inches (Swivel Base) | Uttings.co.uk

wonder if I can get a copycat version cheaper anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    ..wonder if I can get a copycat version cheaper anywhere
    I am sure you can get a copycat version, but if it falls to bits when you are just about to line up on a nice stag, you might regret it. As noted above, I had a 27 inch bipod and got an excellent deal when I traded down in size at Macleods in Tain. I doubt the copycat will retain much second hand value. Regards JCS

I used the long harris one for a while but found it a bugger for prone shots, I was having to lift my upper body upwards and create far to much tension in the body, so I decided to learn to shoot instead

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Mike. I am not quite as tall as you and I use one of these - Harris Bipods HB25S Adapter I don't often use it for sitting, I mostly use it fully retracted for prone shots or extend it slightly to shoot prone but get above the heather/bracken. I have in the past had one of these - Harris Bipods HB25C Adapter but found it a stretch when shooting from the prone position. Regards JCS

Thanks JCS, think you're right that the first would probably be a little more versatile for me.
    All the best,
    Mike

I have one of each in the Harris range and there is almost always a compremise, the one I used most (before moving to flat and bipod unfriendly Norfolk!) was the 9-13.

For general field use the 12-25 is probably the best allrounder, unless you are a big bloke it is a little too long for prone use on the range but ok for stalking shots when you tend not to be in the position for long.

Glyn.