Marrajacks Monster

digger9523

A long long time ago, i chanced my arm and asked young Geoffrey if he would be willing to trade a jacket he had for a knife that i would make him.

He happily agreed to the trade, and now after nearly a year without a workshop, I've started doing the handles! Was just out in the shop and thought i'd do a little thread about this process, more a work in progress jobbie.

So here goes with the first installment.

Here's the blade, was just drilling the holes for the loveless bolts prior to the pic:

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

After a bit of rough shaping we're here:

IMG_0561.jpg

Bolts have been countersunk, the front of the scales are in their final finish now. Imagine trying to shape that area if it was done After they were stuck on!:eek:

Kettle has just boiled, so a brew while i cut and shape the fibre liners that will go betwixt steel and antler. Hopefully in the next hour or two i will have this done and the scales epoxied on and clamped.

TTFN!:british:

Ready for epoxy now, quick loose refit to check for gaps etc:

IMG_0562.jpg

Cleaned out all the little voids around the filework so they fill up with epoxy:

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

A few in hand shots before i glue up:

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Now the sticky part!

All glued up:

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

The vice is now it's home till i get in from work tomorrow evening.

After this little number, the next project is This:

IMG_0556.jpg

Fank you, gd'night, much luv! :D

Last edited:
Well, here she is after a few hours this evening:

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Tried to keep as much of the antler patterns as possible, to do that I've had to shape the exposed faces of the Loveless bolts to the contour and patterns of the antler:

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

Still a bit of fine fettling to do! But it ain't far from being done :D

Back in civilisation, I am a very lucky lad to get a chance at this knife. Hope the coat has given good service!

And then it was finished!

My first bit of leatherwork on the sheath for this one, not perfect, but more than adequate i think.

jy9esepu_zpse1c4193d.jpg

ny3eqavy_zps8e8c80e9.jpg

2ynu6eqa_zps9138ab7f.jpg

Thank you all for looking and for the nice comments so far. Merry Christmas and all that!

TTFN! :british:

Back