Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to clean or not to clean

to clean or not to clean

hi all i here a lot on center fire that you don't clean the bores after you zero, then you here always clean the bore so what does the wise think,

[QUOTE=dunc65;478271]hi all i here a lot on center fire that you don't clean the bores after you zero, then you here always clean the bore so what does the wise think,

My understanding is that the bore is cleaned before zeroing, the rifle zeroed and the bore subsequently cleaned after every outing to maintain a "level playing field" so that the bore is always in the same condition it was when it was zeroed, fouling will overtime influence the zero unless cleaned. Does that make sense?

Depends in the rifle in my experience, though I've had good experiences with "wipe-out" with all my rifles.

Though I've only been stalking a few years I've been shooting centre fire for over 10. I know just as many people who don't clean their rifles as I do people who clean them after every shot!

work out what gives you the best accuracy and stick to that

I use a bore snake after every trip out that I have fired the gun. After 200 I clean it properly but thats a rough number. I dont shoot much paper to check to see if its going off. I think some rifles shoot better dirty. My old BRNO never gets cleaned and its mega cheers Hootsman
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

However, I will fully clean my hunting rifles once a year and then foul them with "odd" cartridges and then zero again with my usual.

The use of an Original Hoppes Boresnake from time to time is OK, especially after "Scottish Sunshine"

Stan

I get the carbon/fouling out, but don't worry about the copper

Each to their own

Quote Originally Posted by Hootsman View Post
    I use a bore snake after every trip out that I have fired the gun. After 200 I clean it properly but thats a rough number. I dont shoot much paper to check to see if its going off. I think some rifles shoot better dirty. My old BRNO never gets cleaned and its mega cheers Hootsman

Deja vu Jim !

I was just talking to your mate Kev about this very topic earlier tonight, we are both of the same

opinion on cleaning the barrel if fired (after an outing) and a thorough clean after every 100/150rds He use's

hoppes 009 I on the other hand use forrest bore foam.

Rgds Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 27-11-2012 at 23:54.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Aye Uncle buck thats good advice and it seems to work. You have seen the standard of my shooting I wouldnt know if my barrel was fouling lol. I use hopps stuff aswell but I cant think what the number is. That Forrest bore foam gets a good name. Cheers Hootsman
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

I have had too many corrosion problems in the past so I now clean all my guns after use, and I have not noticed any zeroing or accuracy problems arising from this. atb Tim

If one shoots the rifle enough to get to know what it likes then one can follow the regime that the rifle likes to produce the required field performance.

Not all rifles/barrels will like the same. Some will happily plant the first shot from a cold clean barrel in the centre of the groups others may place it a little ways off but until one shoots it some to find out it's as much a guessing games as picking the numbers for the lottery is.

Some barrels liked to be fouled to differing degrees. Some in fact will not group well until quite fouled others drop off performance when fouling gets more than slight.

It's the shooters/owners responsibility to find out which it is with their rifle.

Then again far too many do not put the time in behind the rifle shooting to find simple things like this out .