Thread: Pheasants and full moon

Pheasants and full moon

Got a phone call tonight from farmer saying my pheasants were flying about at 7.20 pm tonight!
    Any ideas on this,could be because of full moon ?or is something about?

the only resaon a pheasant generaly leaves the tree mate is because its been disturbed worth goin and having a look or sitting there in darkness having a listen just be carefull not sure if you have seen the fieldsports clip of poachers take someone with you if poss

Quote Originally Posted by trxnav View Post
    the only resaon a pheasant generaly leaves the tree mate is because its been disturbed worth goin and having a look or sitting there in darkness having a listen just be carefull not sure if you have seen the fieldsports clip of poachers take someone with you if poss
    + 1
    ditto be careful

[QUOTE=tia;478280]Got a phone call tonight from farmer saying my pheasants were flying about at 7.20 pm tonight!
    Any ideas on this,could be because of full moon ?or is something about?

Have a look for any feathers laying about under the roosting trees, usually lots of droppings about under the favorite roosts, my guess is you have had a visit from local lads with catapults or air rifles. These bods , who know no better, are often out when there is a full moon wheras your real poacher will be about on a rainy night with no moon at all...
    Reason being birds sit lower in the rain/wind and are more reluctant to fly when there is no moon.
    Last edited by willowbank; 27-11-2012 at 20:39.

Defintly disturbance , i have even seen a planes sonic boom set them all gittery
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

pheasants are crazy anyway, liable to spontaneous panick,
    but will take flight if someone is prowling around.
    the more light there is the more likely they are to fly, once one flies the rest get panicky and fly as well,
    ....more likely when the leaves are off.
    I never go near pheasant release pens late when the birds are going to roost
    you can easily disturb them into flying off.

deep loud noises will send them into a maniacal chorus, ie gunshots , mine quarry blasting, jet planes.
    or even distant dull thuds we can hardly hear.

Had several hundred birds walk of my shoot in the night on a full moon, i only new because they did not come to the whistle the following day. Several days later someone said they had seen lights in the pen area and had presumed it was me .

thats why we lamp twice a week and on different nights mate so we are always about i all so live one end of our shoot and another gun lives the other side it is very difficult to keep an eye on things all the time