Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling a moderator

Selling a moderator

Hi folks,

Am sure this has been done to death, but have googled it and I am struggling to find the definitive answer - perhaps because it doesn't exist and depends on local licensing dept?

My question is: Earlier this year I bought a moderator new from A-Tec, unproofed. Am I legally allowed to sell it secondhand without getting it proofed/proven first?

Thanks

Tim

How do you buy a new moderator unproofed ? i would have thought a new moderator was proofed and you could sell it on to who ever had a variation for a full bore moderator !
    Last edited by 375 mag; 27-11-2012 at 20:47.

otisthedog, Having just had a new moderator from Jacksons Rifles un-proofed and brand new, i also own other moderators that are unproofed of which i have purchased second hand. I would happily say that you would not require to have it proofed. if any one is in doubt then my advise would be to contact Jacksons rifles who are a reputable whole saler of moderators within the country, to confirm that moderators are not require to be proofed. as i say contact them and not come back at me if you disagree.

ATB

Tam

Are moderators proofed or unproofed, unattached to rifles, subject to any statutary control?

I'm with Dalua....isn't a mod a 'component part?'
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Thanks for the answers so far...
    I ask because the RFD I bought it from (whose opinion I trust) offered me an unproofed version or a proofed version (ASE Northstar). He said that while cheaper, he could not resell the unproofed version if I wanted to trade it in.
    Another local RFD (whose opinion I trust not at all after a bad experience) reckoned mods don't need proofing before resale. This was stated when I returned a used, unproofed 22 air rifle mod he supplied with a used 22lr brno.
    By the sound of things so far however, I don't need to worry before listing it in the SD classifieds in the future?

I seem to remember the problem stemmed from insurance being void should anything happen with an unproofed mod?

Cheers

Tim
    Last edited by otisthedog; 27-11-2012 at 21:37.

Here is a link to Jackson rifles article about moderators and the proof house

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I'm with Dalua....isn't a mod a 'component part?'
    Actually, my view is that a moderator is not subject to statutary control unless it is 'an accessory to', meaning 'attached to', a S1 rifle.
    I don't think they need to be proofed, and if they did they would need to be proofed for the first time they're sold as well as any subsequent reselling.

I believe that in law any device to diminish flash or noise is classed as a firearm in itself.
    Whilst it is not unlawful to possess or use an unproved arm yourself it is a felony to sell one.
    I may be wrong but I am sure that `legal eagles` on here will have the correct answer.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    I believe that in law any device to diminish flash or noise is classed as a firearm in itself.
    Whilst it is not unlawful to possess or use an unproved arm yourself it is a felony to sell one.
    I may be wrong but I am sure that `legal eagles` on here will have the correct answer.

HWH.
    I am not, of course, a legal eagle: but I think the Act says not 'any device', but rather 'any accessory to' a firearm.

As far as I can tell, 'accessory to' in this sense means something that is actually attached to the firearm. This interpretation is the only way I can make sense of the fact that I am lawfully in possession of several moderators which could be used on my .22LR despite having only one filled .22LR moderator slot on my FAC.

I'm interested to know if there are other explanations for this state of affairs.