Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new or used?

new or used?

hello chaps. i'm sure this has been covered in great detail before, but some insight from the collective would be greatly appreciated.
    having just applied for my fac i would really appreciate your thoughts on new or used rifles. i have applied for .243 deer/fox, .308 deer and .17hmr rabbit/fox (but in truth if they clear me for .243 on the fox and deer i'll leave the .17 as i tend to use my air rifle for the bunnies). anyway, as i only really need a cf for fox and deer the .243 cal seems like the obvious choice to me and as i want to get a tool rather than a tart what are your views on a used higher grade rifle (sako, styer, that sort of thing) or new cheaper brand (cz, winchester, you get the idea). looking at spending around 800-950 tops for a set up but preferably less. criteria is that it needs to be rugged, simple and accurate. i rather like older guns- i shoot an old 40's webley and scott 16 bore mainly- but the vintage rifle thing seems to me to be a bad idea............. so, please, your thoughts? used higher grade or new lower grade.

Plenty of good s/h rifles out there - I'd compare it to buying a car... New ones lose money too quick so you're better off buying a s/h one with low mileage!

Also you're better off learning about a rifle and how look after one before buying your dream rifle.

Having said that I bought 2 brand new rifles this year lol!

Sako and CZ are both great makes!

Find a used high grade in good condition - look at the Sako / Heym / Sauer etc. mostly you will have a decent scope thrown in for free. Try and find a "gentle mans rifle" - it will have probably only fired half a dozen shots a year, rather than a keepers rifle which will have had a hard life.

Fangler

You won't go far wrong with this Sako 75 in 6.5x55mm on sale on the site at £1000 inc. Mod:
    For Sale: Sako 75 finnlight 6.5x55

A great calibre that will knock down anything in the UK, so you'll only need the one rifle for deer & fox using 140gr or 120gr, species dependent...

You'll from my sig that I'm a little biased :-)

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Find a used high grade in good condition - look at the Sako / Heym / Sauer etc. mostly you will have a decent scope thrown in for free. Try and find a "gentle mans rifle" - it will have probably only fired half a dozen shots a year, rather than a keepers rifle which will have had a hard life.
    That seems very sensible to me. Twist rates are another thing I know little about that seem to matter greatly. For accuracy in deer rounds what are we talking? And will the twist rate that is good for heavier bullets be detrimental to lighter rounds?.....

Within a 6 month period I bought a new Sako 85 in .308 and a second hand Sako 85 in .243. The secondhand rifle was the exact spec I was looking for, it was less than 12 months old, came with an ATEC Maxim moderator, Harris bi-pod, Optilock bases/rings and a very nice leather/soft hide sling - and all for £100 less than a new rifle on its own. It was advertised as having maximum circa 70 rounds through it from new and judging by its condition I have no reason to believe otherwise - it was virtually mint with only a couple of very light bruises on the stock. I bought it from a reputable RFD via guntrader.

Unless I commissioned a custom rifle, I'm pretty sure that I would always look secondhand first. As the post above mentioned - similar to buying a car and I'm sure you can get lemons as well as good rifles - Caveat Emptor!

I must admit I bought quite a few rifles and only one was new and only because my dad gave me the money and he is really using it more than me. Big savings if you buy s/h. A few used .243s in classifieds.

here you go ,all you will ever need ,bite his hand off and spend the rest on stalking
    atb wayne
    For Sale: Krico .243Win Stutzen + Lisenfeld 3-9x42
    Last edited by mereside; 28-11-2012 at 15:13.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Mereside's right - I can't understand why this rifle hasn't been snapped up ages ago!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    here you go ,all you will ever need ,bite his hand off
    atb wayne
    For Sale: Krico .243Win Stutzen + Lisenfeld 3-9x42

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Mereside's right - I can't understand why this rifle hasn't been snapped up ages ago!

Ian
    stutzen snobbery!

I have a .243, a .270 and a .222
    not one of which cost me more than £100 (one was free, one was £90 and one was £75!)

the .243 shot as close to single hole groups with 100gr bullets as I am ever likely to see despite the 1:12 "it will never stabilise 100gr" twist rate!
    the .270 shoots sub 1" at 135yds with 130gr whack-a-mole homeloads.
    the .222 shoots sub 1" at 115yds (distances just because that is where I was at the time!)

I cant justify dropping an extra £300, £500 or £1000 to get something i am going to cry over when I slip and drop it in the mud or ding it on a rock
    but then I drive a 15year old car....because I like it!

they all do the job.