Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which underlever

which underlever

hi guys after reading a few posts on people who have these can i ask which calibre can you get deer legal and that i could find fairly easy,after looking at these i like the idea of having one so i can take the odd deer with open sights so i have the odd trophy that is something abit different ,also can it be possible to cast bullets to reach the required speeds ok as i also like the idea of doing everything from scratch i have gotton fairly well on with my swaging press for another project but been doing that when i have had some spare time and with christmas coming up im hoping to finish it then.
    I will look forward to listening to your thaughts , atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

In my opinion the easiest way to get a lever action deer rifle that is usable all over the UK would be to buy a Browning BLR. Its had a rotating bolt head similar to that found in an assault rifle or straight pull AR type rifle so has a much better lock up than traditional lever actions. It is available in lots of modern calibers - so you could take your pick. They also have a box mag so very fast to load and unload and no problems using pointy bullets.

I have a marlin in .45-70 (found on here!) which I am experimenting with. You can only push 405 grains of hard cast lead so fast, but I've no doubt it would be very effective if I were to stalk with it.

George Wallace (the NGO firearms chap) rated the BLR very highly. Only lever action I have ever tried was a Win 88 in 308 years ago. It broke easily so not too chuffed.

David.

I am not to sure but I think the 30-30 would be legal and fun to shoot. Also Marlin 444 would do alot even driven boar.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by theshootist View Post

I have a marlin in .45-70 (found on here!) which I am experimenting with. You can only push 405 grains of hard cast lead so fast, but I've no doubt it would be very effective if I were to stalk with it.
    So if you're worried about speed then you go to a nice 300 grain gas checked bullet and you can get plenty speed with enough energy .

The Browning BLR's while be ing pretty well made are not the best feeling leveraction I ever picked up . Used to think a pair of them in 270 WSM and 325 WSM would be the ultimate two gun battery for North America and had intentions of getting a pair . Well that is until I went in a shop and the owner handed me a very nice used BLR in 270 WSM, the thing did not feel good in my hands at all .

Quote Originally Posted by theshootist View Post
    In my opinion the easiest way to get a lever action deer rifle that is usable all over the UK would be to buy a Browning BLR. Its had a rotating bolt head similar to that found in an assault rifle or straight pull AR type rifle so has a much better lock up than traditional lever actions. It is available in lots of modern calibers - so you could take your pick. They also have a box mag so very fast to load and unload and no problems using pointy bullets.

There are a lot of people on this site using lever actions for deer, I use a 3030 marlin, I have seen many a deer killed with a 45-70 in the states. Why would a browning blr be the most usable all over the country?, with leverlution ammo you have pointy bullets.

Thanks guys much to think about, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Wayne,

I know that i am not unique on here in having a .44 for deer if you fancy something different.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by YoungGun; 28-11-2012 at 19:19. Reason: my phone hates me

If at all possible, try and see which one feels better in your hands. I use my levers for still hunting in wooded areas where the shots are usually close and fast. Under these conditions I,ve found its more important to have a rifle that fits well than anything else.No one rifle will fit everyone, its up to you.
    I have noticed that no one there seems to mention Savage 99's. Out of curiousity , anyone here that uses one? At the risk of repeating myself they are one of my favorites.
    AB

i have a very nice winchester 44mag AE forsale soon ??