Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: game sector ageing and male dominated

game sector ageing and male dominated

interesting wee article in BBC...the last paragraph made me roll me eyes though
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-20509173

Are people surprised by this?

Surely thereís no excuse for a dearth of Lady FC Rangers since the introduction of the quad bike for deer recovery??

Iíll get my camo coat and rope!

Interesting article. I would also say that the last paragraph, rather than eye-rolling, actually hits the nail squarely on the head as to public perception, both of understanding of rural employment, the rural economy and the use of tools in those trades. No-one bats an eyelid with the image of the gown and wig of a barrister but the rifle and camouflage is only ever associated with paramilitary activists – because that is the image that the public are predominantly exposed to. An odd paradox is that camo has a huge following in high street fashion.

The game sector is not alone regards age - the Oil & Gas sector has the same problem with an aging male population, as does engineering as a whole in the UK.

It is down to the shooting and countryside communities to make rural employment attractive to people and also encourage them to consider it as a career.

Here's the full report

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publicati...eports/496.pdf

Nothing startling, usual LANTRA stuff. I would't say it was 100% representative, but getting there!

Remember that this is the LANTRA perception of a comment that is then presented to us by a journalist!!!!!
    Last edited by bambislayer; 28-11-2012 at 15:28.

- Dead mens shoes, one in, you are in for life or until you quit

- A sector highly reliant on specific experience and an intolerance to transferable skills (you won't get a job on a big game shoot without hatchery experience or a highland estate without grouse or red stalking experience)

- One that does not encourage or allow movement out of the sector due to the reliance on the skills above

-limited growth potential for the businesses involved.
    you cant turn a salmon river with a 100 fish 10yr average into a 500 fish per year river anymore than you can suddenly go from culling 100 red to 500 reds on a fixed estate

not a great shock is it?

No, not a great shock. What we need to do however is change some of those attitudes to encourage and allow fresh blood into the industry - apprenticeships, training, mentoring. Otherwise the sports that we love will disappear, not through legislation but through apathy and intolerance or reluctance to change.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    - Dead mens shoes, one in, you are in for life or until you quit

- A sector highly reliant on specific experience and an intolerance to transferable skills (you won't get a job on a big game shoot without hatchery experience or a highland estate without grouse or red stalking experience)

- One that does not encourage or allow movement out of the sector due to the reliance on the skills above

-limited growth potential for the businesses involved.
    you cant turn a salmon river with a 100 fish 10yr average into a 500 fish per year river anymore than you can suddenly go from culling 100 red to 500 reds on a fixed estate

not a great shock is it?
    I don't think it's as bad as you think.

New owners & managers bring new perspective. One thing that I would certainly take heed to is Transferable Skills. I know that amongst our Reserves teams we have a huge array of skills sets, which at times we certainly don't utilise enough. Obviously private estates can often be rather inward looking , however , I do see change.

It's surprising the array of jobs that have been previously held by keepers/stalkers. One well known character [now retired ] was a window dresser ! I would always be interested in time served mechanics, can save you a fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    No, not a great shock. What we need to do however is change some of those attitudes to encourage and allow fresh blood into the industry - apprenticeships, training, mentoring. Otherwise the sports that we love will disappear, not through legislation but through apathy and intolerance or reluctance to change.
    We have all these things, not that many students come from keepering backgrounds compared to 20 years ago.

Yes, BS - not suggesting the problems are endemic. Skills shortage is a problem in many sectors, and of course the rural career has to compete with many other sectors which have more favourable financial rewards.