psstalking

Hi,

Quick question in two parts.

If you where to hang a beast for the full 21 days to allow meat to mature

would you hang it with jacket on or of
would you hang it whole or quartered

Meat will be stored in large fridge/larder

paul,

The problem with hanging for 21 days in a chiller is that the way chillers work strips moisture out of a beast,if you want to chill it for 21 days it would be better in the skin as it would lose less moisture.

Most produced meat carries quite a lot of water in the meat and fat and because it is stressed when killed needs a good time to relax and dry, venison generaly does not require the same amount of time.

Unless you are one of the big supermarkets that want to get their meat on the shelf as soon as possible so they can sell you water.

salt it down first ,then you can hang it as long as you want ,we did before we had a freezer, and still do with mutton, other wise a week is plenty.

Bloody hell Bruce, just took me back to Port Stanley in '83.......

Mutton, mutton and more mutton. A first for me but something I have since earnt to appreciate, but is difficult to source nw in the modern world.

Stan

Hi,

Quick question in two parts.

If you where to hang a beast for the full 21 days to allow meat to mature

would you hang it with jacket on or of
would you hang it whole or quartered

Meat will be stored in large fridge/larder

paul,

Paul hello,
Most venison will start to lose the meats consistency after 21 days, I would go for 15 to 18 at the most and that depends if the carcass/skin is wet. If it is I would go for no more than 14 days. Hang it in the skin and then you do not get the crisp unsightly outer coating as the meat dries. looks much better butchered then.
Keep an eye on it, if the storage area doesn't have a fan circulating the air you will probably find it gets condensation and that almost certainly would mean you can't hang it for the suggested periods above.

Good luck it should be delicious, best regards.

Jon.

PM me if you need any more info.

Last edited:
Paul hello,
Most venison will start to lose the meats consistency after 21 days, I would go for 15 to 18 at the most and that depends if the carcass/skin is wet. If it is I would go for no more than 14 days. Hang it in the skin and then you do not get the crisp unsightly outer coating as the meat dries. looks much better butchered then.
Keep an eye on it, if the storage area doesn't have a fan circulating the air you will probably find it gets condensation and that almost certainly would mean you can't hang it for the suggested periods above.

Good luck it should be delicious, best regards.

Jon.

PM me if you need any more info.

Jon,

ta for this and all the advice lads,
I think the 14 day rule seems to be the general train of thought with coat on.

will advise of this weekends outcome,
Of course the deer has to come out first lol.

p,

Back