Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling carcass to a resturaunt

Selling carcass to a resturaunt

Hi all,

I am sure this has been covered at some point but I am struggling to find a difinitive answer after searching through old posts.

I have a local pub/resturaunt which is interested in taking whole carcases from me. I have my dsc1 and remember from the coarse that this allows me to sell jacketed carcasses to a game dealer, but I also remember being told something about being able to sell them within 25 miles of where I live. Problem is I cant remember all of the details.

Question is, can I sell them to a local resturaunt and if so what paperwork would I need to supply with the carcass?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

go onto the other thread in genral section on wild venison on ebay ,monkey spanker put all the relevent info up for trained hunter exemptions,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for the heads up Mereside. I have just had a read through the thread but it seems to all refer to processed meat. I am simply looking to hand over the jacketed carcass along with any required paperwork. Can this be done with a restaurant or must it be a game dealer?

[QUOTE=HuN73R666;479070]Question is, can I sell them to a local resturaunt and if so what paperwork would I need to supply with the carcass?QUOTE]

I posed the following questions to the “Meat Hygiene & TSE Policy Branch Hygiene & Microbiology Division” in 2010. Their response covers your question but do check for changes.
    Q1: If I simply handover the carcass/s to the estate “in the fur” and with my Trained Hunter tag after full carcass inspection (c/o field evisceration) does the responsibility thereafter rest solely with the estate to ensure compliance with FSA and local authority requirements prior to sale in their club restaurant & bar?

A: Yes, it does.

Q2. If the estate wishes me to handover the carcass in a semi-processed state; namely skinned and quartered, I understand I must register as a food business because I’m supplying prepared wild game meat even though in small quantities. Given this would entail full compliance with general hygiene requirements and a scenario-specific food safety management procedure based on HACCP principles, is such achievable without access to a deer larder?

A: Yes, processing of game is possible without access to a deer larder. All you need is a separate processing area in your private dwelling house for skinning carcasses and/or producing wild game meat.

A Food Business Operator (such as those claiming the hunter exemption or certain retail exemptions) skinning carcasses and/or producing wild game meat in moveable and/or temporary premises or in private dwelling houses where it is regularly prepared for placing on the market are required to do the following:

• to register as a food business operator with your Local Council preferably, the environmental health department;
      • meet the traceability requirements of Regulation 178/2002;
      • have in place a food safety management system based on HACCP principles; and
      • comply with Regulation 852/2004 Annex ll, Chapter lll for the provision and maintenance of -

1. appropriate facilities to maintain personal hygiene;
    2. cleaning and where appropriate, disinfection of food contact surfaces;

3. working utensils and equipment;

4. an adequate supply of potable water;

5. adequate storage and disposal of waste;

6. suitable facilities for maintaining food temperature conditions and monitoring them;

7. placing of foodstuffs to avoid the risk of contamination (including from animals and pests) as far as is reasonably practicable.

Please feel free to contact me, should you require any further clarification on the above information.

Meat Hygiene & TSE Policy Branch
    Hygiene & Microbiology Division
    Rm 3B
    Food Standards Agency
    Aviation House
    125 Kingsway
    London WC2B 6NH
    Tel: 020 7276 8386
    Fax: 020 7276 8910

Hope this helps

K

Thank for the info mate! So according to this I can sell a complete carcass to anyone as long as it has not been processed and is still in its skin. I take it I would need to fill out some form to advise of any abnormalities or behavioural issues. Then the onus is on the buyer to comply with all requirements from then on?!?

Would anyone have a copy of such a form that I would need to complete? I take it that my trained hunter registration number would just be my DSC1 certificate number?

[QUOTE=Klenchblaize;479092]
    Quote Originally Posted by HuN73R666 View Post
    Question is, can I sell them to a local resturaunt and if so what paperwork would I need to supply with the carcass?QUOTE]

I posed the following questions to the “Meat Hygiene & TSE Policy Branch Hygiene & Microbiology Division” in 2010. Their response covers your question but do check for changes.
    Q1: If I simply handover the carcass/s to the estate “in the fur” and with my Trained Hunter tag after full carcass inspection (c/o field evisceration) does the responsibility thereafter rest solely with the estate to ensure compliance with FSA and local authority requirements prior to sale in their club restaurant & bar?

A: Yes, it does.

Q2. If the estate wishes me to handover the carcass in a semi-processed state; namely skinned and quartered, I understand I must register as a food business because I’m supplying prepared wild game meat even though in small quantities. Given this would entail full compliance with general hygiene requirements and a scenario-specific food safety management procedure based on HACCP principles, is such achievable without access to a deer larder?

A: Yes, processing of game is possible without access to a deer larder. All you need is a separate processing area in your private dwelling house for skinning carcasses and/or producing wild game meat.

A Food Business Operator (such as those claiming the hunter exemption or certain retail exemptions) skinning carcasses and/or producing wild game meat in moveable and/or temporary premises or in private dwelling houses where it is regularly prepared for placing on the market are required to do the following:

• to register as a food business operator with your Local Council preferably, the environmental health department;
      • meet the traceability requirements of Regulation 178/2002;
      • have in place a food safety management system based on HACCP principles; and
      • comply with Regulation 852/2004 Annex ll, Chapter lll for the provision and maintenance of -

1. appropriate facilities to maintain personal hygiene;
    2. cleaning and where appropriate, disinfection of food contact surfaces;

3. working utensils and equipment;

4. an adequate supply of potable water;

5. adequate storage and disposal of waste;

6. suitable facilities for maintaining food temperature conditions and monitoring them;

7. placing of foodstuffs to avoid the risk of contamination (including from animals and pests) as far as is reasonably practicable.

Please feel free to contact me, should you require any further clarification on the above information.

Meat Hygiene & TSE Policy Branch
    Hygiene & Microbiology Division
    Rm 3B
    Food Standards Agency
    Aviation House
    125 Kingsway
    London WC2B 6NH
    Tel: 020 7276 8386
    Fax: 020 7276 8910

Hope this helps

K

Don't forget your insurance, i think the BDS insurance will cover you for such a small quantity but it might be worth checking rather than risk losing your house should a claim arise.

I’m surprised BASC don’t offer them:

Attachment 21969Attachment 21970

Thank you for that mate! That is exactly what I was looking for. Have just ordered me a roll!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I’m surprised BASC don’t offer them:

Attachment 21969Attachment 21970

Do you know if BASC insurance would cover you for liability with regards to the sale of game?

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Don't forget your insurance, i think the BDS insurance will cover you for such a small quantity but it might be worth checking rather than risk losing your house should a claim arise.

Quote Originally Posted by HuN73R666 View Post
    Do you know if BASC insurance would cover you for liability with regards to the sale of game?
    Don't know as i am not a member, sorry.