Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 with 55/58 grain bullet

.243 with 55/58 grain bullet

Hi, I have a browning A bolt II composite in .243 and I believe the rifling to be a 1 in 10 twist ? . I have switched to lighter grain bullets 55 & 58 grain for foxing (nicer to shoot). seem to do fine on the range with both nice group for 100yds and great with the 55 grain, missed a few more foxes with 58's. Only shot foxes out to 140ish yds (with 55g) with most closer. I have been told that these are a bit light for a .243 and I may get a rogue shot due to the size. Anyone experience anything like this. I'm very confident with especially the 55 grains, which is half the battle, but just wonder if it could be one factor in some of the misses I have. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    Hi, I have a browning A bolt II composite in .243 and I believe the rifling to be a 1 in 10 twist ? . I have switched to lighter grain bullets 55 & 58 grain for foxing (nicer to shoot). seem to do fine on the range with both nice group for 100yds and great with the 55 grain, missed a few more foxes with 58's. Only shot foxes out to 140ish yds (with 55g) with most closer. I have been told that these are a bit light for a .243 and I may get a rogue shot due to the size. Anyone experience anything like this. I'm very confident with especially the 55 grains, which is half the battle, but just wonder if it could be one factor in some of the misses I have. Thanks

Wind will be more of a factor the lighter you go, are you loading these yourself ? What speeds are you getting ? It might be that you are getting a few break up due to too much spin if they are on the limit, try running them a little slower.

Hth
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    243 win excels at light for calibre bullets.
    Rogue shot = someone talking out of their hat!
    I have a Browning and Tikka in 243, they both love 55gn fodder!

Oh yeah, wind is not as bad as we are generally led to believe, people forget ToF (Time of flight)

at that range you can effectively forget wind as an issue with the 55 grainers I have to say I don't get on as well with them as 75grn vmax which is deadly accurate. As far as any inconsistency is concerned keep shooting them at paper mine doesn't group as well with 55's but its far from unacceptable, I got some 58's to try last time I was buying as they were half the price of the 75's so will try and work a load up as soon as I can.

personally I prefer one round for one rifle. so the .223 is for fox (60g SP) and the .243 is for roe (87g HP), with the 30-06 (180g SP/Partition) for reds and other stuff that needs more of a booting to bite the dust. that way I know they will all be optimised for their individual purposes in terms of accuracy and bullets, but also, I could use all three for fox or roe if I wanted without having to change ammo or worry about changes in POI due to ammo differences.

Thanks guys, no I do not load my own. They are 55G Win silvertip & 58G Hor V max. I've only used 100G previously but i've only had my centre fire for a year so have lots to learn yet.

at sub 140 yards mates you shouldnt really be missing a fox.are you sure your missing and the bullet is going straight threw ?? how many misses are we talking about here.
    on a personal note I wouldnt run something so light a 70gr would be a better and give charlie a good smack.

Yes, I'm afraid to admit but I've missed a few. Easy on paper kill, it every time. But at night off sticks & my little heart beating a bit more, better off vehicle but on foot mostly. As I'm relative new hopefully I can only get better.

Ultimately tuning the load is what is required but hey we do that anyway, n'est-ce pas?
    Nothing 'wrong' with 55gn in a 243 only misinformed opinion.
    It performs as well as any other weight I care to reload in 243!

My old parker hale .243 sub moa with 58 gn vmax home loads