Which shotgun

big ears

I know this is maybe not the right place but does anyone have experience of 16g shotguns?
My son is looking for a gun for Christmas. He is big enough for a 12 g but has seen a 16 g aya game gun. I have no experience of this calibre. What are the benefits of 16g over 12g. If it were you what would you buy?
Thanks for your advice.

Some people consider it an ideal calibre, but Cartridges are difficult to get and much more expensive than 12g. And I mean much more. I think I would advise a 12g and 28gramme load (Actually 28 is a 16 bore load) he will find it more convenient and a lot cheaper.

best wishes,

David.

I use a 16 bore regularly for gameshooting. Honestly, you wouldn't know the difference from a 12b in terms of performance, and I've never had trouble feeding it, although the range of available ammunition isn't the same. There are no 16b clay cartridges easily available though. I have some Eley bismuth ones that I bought for ducks once, and wasn't impressed, but I'd say the same of 12b bismuth. If he likes the gun, and the price is right, go for it. It used to be the standard bore in France. Oh, and you can find loads up to 32g.

They call it the sweet sixteen for very good reason. A 16 shooting 1oz of shot weighs in at 6 lbs so nice and light but not whippy like a 20, but has all the performance of a 12. Cartridges are available pretty readily, but might well be worth buying by the case when you get a good price.

and AyA are very good guns - especially the older ones.

Last edited:
I'd go with a 12 that fits him. If you equip him with something that has 3" chambers and steel proofed he will have one of the most versatile set ups and he probably won't outgrow it. 28g carts will suit it fine and not be brutal. Also a 12 is cheaper to feed than 20 and 16.

Enjoy your shooting!

ATB,

Scrummy

We all know that shooting a 20g is the preserve of those that can really shoot! :stir: Buy him another 20 if he's shooting well with it !!! I did have a few boxes of 16g laying about somewhere, will see if I can find them!!!

i would say go with the twelve bore. you have a wider availability of cartridges depending on what your going at. it would be alot easier to sell a 12g than a 16g should he choose to upgrade down the road.

i would say go with the twelve bore. you have a wider availability of cartridges depending on what your going at. it would be alot easier to sell a 12g than a 16g should he choose to upgrade down the road.

Yes but pandering to this sort of thing just perpetuates it! We'll never improve the world with that sort of attitude.

I pretty much only shoot 16 bore. It is a wonderful gauge to use but there are a few things to remember. If you are buying a 16 make sure it is a 'pure breed' I.e- built on a 16 bore frame. Some are built on 12g frames and you loose half the point in them (lightness, pointyness). Also (in my opinion) 16g is not really suitable for clays- cartridges are a bit dearer and (as a rule of thumb) only readily available in game loads.
However it packs a great punch, they are an elegant feeling gun-especially in side by side-and there is a certain (sheepish cough) elitist feel about shooting one! Ideal choice for walked up game as well. Love em.

If he likes the gun get it, i shoot 20, 16 and 12 - to tell the truth i can't tell the difference in performance......gun fit more important than bore size......

I used a 16 for a few years, worked ok but 12 is the way to go if one fires a lot of rounds.
My two boys also have 12ga now.
Maybe tempt him by saying he could use magnum cartridges for fox/duck...
edi

The two most ballistically effiecent gauges/loads are the 28 gauge with 3/4 ounces of shot and the 16 gauge with one ounce of shot !

So with that being said I have no less then , at the moment I have a Fox , a Parker and a Kerner SxS that are all 16 gauge . Also have a trio of drillings that are 16 gauge .

The little Fox and Parker are very lively bird guns . One of the drillings seems to be an excellent hunter in both the 7x57R rifle barrel and the pair of 16 gauge tubes with both slugs and buckshot .

Incidently I load my own buckshot for the 16 gauge and they seem to pattern quite nicely !

My preference in shotguns is my old W&C Scott 10 gauge 2 7/8" SxS followed by the Parker GH 16 gauge and finally my Fox 16 gauge .

I have an old 16 bore [james Kirk of Ayr], great gun, I use every now and then. My Grandfather had a pair of churchill 25s in 16b, my cousin has them now. I've shot driven grouse with them and they are the best handling grouse guns you could get. As said 1oz loads with 6s, if possible try and get you hands on Rottweill Tigers. I used to have a Browning A5 16b, I shot everything with it, foxes - rabbits. I used to get Eley BBs, no idea how much powder was in them????? Unfortunately the A5 wasn't a straight hand stock :(

16s are still very popular in Europe, for good reason. I've seen AYA no.4s and yeomans in 16b, nice guns, well proven.

If you like the gun, then go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back