Help needed please

phil61

DSCF7529.jpgDSCF7530.jpgDSCF7531.jpgHi All,

Shot my first Fallow doe out of the new high seat tonight. When doing the graloch, I found what appears to be white nodules on the liver and around the stomach area. Photographs attached for you to see for yourselves. Could anyone shine any light on on what the cause of this may be? The doe was also in a poor condition. Not alot of meat on the haunches.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Professor Jim Simpson at the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College, Edinburgh is looking for samples of any unusual lesions found in wild deer to help with a study he is completing. He will help you, you can email him jimmy.simpson@ed.ac.uk , collect a sample of affected tissue either fresh (if delivered quickly) or kept frozen or in formalin where there is a delay. Email your picture and short statement of what you have found.

Saw something vaguely similar in cattle many moons ago inspector thought it may be some sort of TB
This is just a guess.
very interested to know what some professional might think of it

yes so would i mate all the deer i have shot on this land have been clean as a whistle thats why i put up the pictures in the hope that some of the pro stalkers on here could help me out anyway thanks for your reply
Phil

yes so would i mate all the deer i have shot on this land have been clean as a whistle thats why i put up the pictures in the hope that some of the pro stalkers on here could help me out anyway thanks for your reply
Phil

I had a look at my disease cards from the BDS and the nearest one was liver fluke.

Perhaps if you section the liver; if it is fluke the ducts are enlarged and inflamed and look like old clay pipe stems.

The wet weather means that there are more of the snails which are the intermediate host for the larvae and they will be on the grass the deer eats.

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/health_diseases.aspx

But only a wild guess.

Liver white spot and possible tb ? but as mentioned by Brithunter the only definitive
anwser will be from a vet.

View attachment 21994View attachment 21995View attachment 21996Hi All,

Shot my first Fallow doe out of the new high seat tonight. When doing the graloch, I found what appears to be white nodules on the liver and around the stomach area. Photographs attached for you to see for yourselves. Could anyone shine any light on on what the cause of this may be? The doe was also in a poor condition. Not alot of meat on the haunches.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phil
Sorry not to reply sooner, only just picked this up. The first picture looks like the lumps are all associated with vessels - probably lymphatic vessels and TB would be top of my list so it should be reported. There is another condition that creates lumps like this - Caseous Lymphadenitis which I believe can affect sheep. Was it an old doe, another possibility is a tumour of some kind and this is metastatic spread. What do the other LN look like as asked earlier?
Jack - fluke wouldn't cause lesions outside the liver and those on the liver are not typical for fluke.

Buchan,
Yes a very old doe no bottom teeth and in poor condition but stiil cleared a 4 rail fence even with the top of the heart blown out other LN loked ok and lungs ok

I have some similar photo's. These pictures are of a middle aged fallow doe shot 3 years ago. She was in a herd of 12 and I picked her out as she was clearly in poor condition. A bag of bones.
Couldn't belive it when I opened her up. I didn't go any further with the gralloch as I suspected TB and saw only what I've shown in the photo's taken on my phone. Sadly it was never diagnosed as when I spoke to the farmer about what I'd shot and my suspicions he said "don't you dare report it. Tell me where it is and i'll deal with it". As I had no intention of losing the stalking there I had no choice but to follow his instructions.

Markmoto_0007.jpgmoto_0008.jpgmoto_0010.jpgmoto_0011.jpgmoto_0012.jpg

- Caseous Lymphadenitis which I believe can affect sheep.

Durrr, of course if affects sheep! This should have read "I believe can affect deer" Apologies for any confusion

If I'd shot the deer I would report it as tuberculosis and let the ministry make the call!

Did you cut into the abscesses? With CLA the puss is often green and cheesey. With TB it can be gritty. They are actually similar organisms so can give a similar picture. Both TB & CLA like to make abscesses in lymph nodes.

I have seen occasional sheep with similar. I'm not sure I can place cause and effect but some animals seem to get disseminated abscesses when old and run down. Whether it is a weakened immune system that allows it to happen or an overwhelming infection that seeds to various sites in the body and causes the demise I do not know. Any sign of old injuries, bad feet etc?

I'd not eat it!

I have some similar photo's. These pictures are of a middle aged fallow doe shot 3 years ago. She was in a herd of 12 and I picked her out as she was clearly in poor condition. A bag of bones.
Couldn't belive it when I opened her up. I didn't go any further with the gralloch as I suspected TB and saw only what I've shown in the photo's taken on my phone. Sadly it was never diagnosed as when I spoke to the farmer about what I'd shot and my suspicions he said "don't you dare report it. Tell me where it is and i'll deal with it". As I had no intention of losing the stalking there I had no choice but to follow his instructions.

MarkView attachment 22591View attachment 22593View attachment 22594View attachment 22595View attachment 22596
Really??!!!

Last edited:
remind me of what to do if a reportable disease is suspected?

With Notifiable Diseases you have a legal duty to report it to the divisional veterinary manager (DVM) [although I believe technically in law you can report it to a police constable!]. Ring your local AHVLA office - it's a good idea to have it in your phone. They will put you through to a duty vet, who will gather more information and decide on what action is required. If in any doubt report it and make them call it!

A DEFRA leaflet on TB in farmed deer http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/about/publications/advice-guidance/documents/13_Tuberculosis_in_deer.pdf

A pertinent comment from the above document:

All deer carcases suspected of being affected
with TB should be reported to the local Animal
Health office. The person reporting suspicion
will be asked to hold suspect material only (the
entire carcase is not required) and to ensure
identification by retaining the ears or by
recording all ear tags, and any other
information which might assist in tracing the
herd or origin, until the Animal Health office is
able to arrange a visit by a veterinary officer.

Back