Thread: Property in Canada

Property in Canada

This is a question for our Canadian friends, if I was to buy a property in Canada would it entitle me to become a Canadian resident and to hunt in Canada without useing an outfitter.
    I know it does not entitle me to become a Canadian Citizen, unless I win the lottery they wont let me as I am to old
    Last edited by sikadog; 29-11-2012 at 23:09.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I doubt it, but I couldn't say for sure. I'll talk to the feds tomorrow and get back to you.
    AB

Buy a property just over the border with the states, then you can buy a non-resident tag, no need for an outfitter.
    Cheers
    Richard

sikadog, as a side note, if you do buy a property in Canada then just beware that if you sell it then you will have to pay 25% of any profit as tax!. that was the case when i sold my place. the rate could have changed since then (2003). the other pain is that this is paid in advance. after this is paid a licence to sell is issued.

food for thought

Ade
    Big bloke... but outta shape

You keeping summat quiet Keithy????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi sikadog, So far this is what I've got. You are allowed to stay in canada for a maximum of 6 months with out a visa (tourist, visitor). You can stay indefinitly, as long as you're financially independent, meaning you will not take employment in this country. I just read the info over quickly, but you would have to provide evidence of proof. You would also be responsible for your own health care costs (private health care insurance, travel insurance) If you go to immigration canada's website it will detail what you need to do and who to contact.
    To be able to hunt in Alberta as a resident( no guiding requirements) you must be a resident of Alberta for 12 months prior to purchasing a resident licence.I'm not sure if that means that means you must physically reside in Alberta or that you just have to state that the property you've purchased is your residence in Canada. In short, you could do it, I'm just not sure how practical it would be. I'd suggest you contact immigration canada for more details, they're usually quite helpful ( I'm sponsoring my nephew as we speak) This applies in Alberta, other provinces may have different legislation
    Good Luck AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 03-12-2012 at 03:42.

Alberta Boy
    Thanks for the information it will make a good start to my project
    Keith
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY