Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumped my last 243.

Dumped my last 243.

I traded my dratted Winchester Model 70, 243 back to the trading post tonight. The gun shot OK after a bit of bedding work but it was just too little gun for deer and too much for prairiedogs so I had no emotion for it. My new gun? A Smith and Wesson Model 29-3, six inch 44 magnum in really decent shape. A much more useful weapon, I think.

I traded even across. (Squeal!! )~Muir

We're both probably going to get flamed for this, but I feel the same way about 243's, by the way good trade, I had the same pistol years ago. True to form I traded it, for a Ruger No1 lightwieght sporter in 7x57. I gave it to my Dad for his birthday so it was for a good cause.

I'm going to get my fire retardent clothing now AB

funny, I traded mine just recently for a .222!

will get another at some point I am sure

jack of all trades it is, suitor of all, master of none....hence I have a sako 75 in .243,,mind, one day when that barrel wears out, I'm sure it will become an HCM.

I suspect there would be a lot less of them in the UK if our firearms legislation was different, it almost directs you to 243 if you want to shoot deer and fox with the same rifle. Although I use my 243 as a fox, small deer gun and it works well. I suspect the deer you shoot are generally bigger than roe and muntjac.

My 3 243's also went. Saying that the 243 is ideal for lighter sika, roe and fox. My son is putting himself a 243 together as his first rifle.

Muir, I'd love to follow you into the trading post one day... that salesman seems to pull you over the table every week...
    edi

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I traded my dratted Winchester Model 70, 243 back to the trading post tonight. The gun shot OK after a bit of bedding work but it was just too little gun for deer and too much for prairiedogs so I had no emotion for it. My new gun? A Smith and Wesson Model 29-3, six inch 44 magnum in really decent shape. A much more useful weapon, I think.

I traded even across. (Squeal!! )~Muir
    That's interesting

My first "deer" rifle was a lovely BSA CF2 Hunter in .243win. I didn't take long to trade it up for a Sako in .270win which I later rebarreled to .30-06. I won't be having another .243 and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a .243 unless they only need it for shooting foxes and roe deer. There are far better calibres for that case, from 6.5mm to .338"

If I remember correctly, the cartridge was first developed for US coyote shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    If I remember correctly, the cartridge was first developed for US coyote shooters.
    Yes, it's what Yosemite Sam used on rabbits too.

I have had a few 243's and enjoyed shooting with them all. Don't think I can recall any time where I thought something would have been better at that time, except perhaps for windy conditions or rutting stags, although the rifles still did what was asked.

Nowadays though I don't know if I would ever go back to one. Not because of it being a poor chambering, far from it, but just because I think for what I ask from a rifle there is better choices out there, especially if someone is sticking to one rifle and shooting in a mixture of wood and open ground and also for several different species...

I sold a couple fo rifles recently in preperation for a few changes and I am not sure what to go for. I am currently using my 308 for everything just now and cannot see where a 243 would fit into what I do to be honest in the future. For example in preference to the 243 I would now opt for the 6.5x47Lapua as a one gun fits all...

For roe deer and foxes I would rather use a 22-250, and for the bigger stuff like sika stags I would opt for a 7mm or 30 cal I think.

As has been said before, nothing wrong with the 243, but is it a bit of a Jack-of-all-trades and master of none?

I think that the .243 is a delight to use, flat shooting with low noise and recoil and kills deer efficiently with minimal meat damage. atb Tim