Thread: Is venison fat worth a try for making mince?

Is venison fat worth a try for making mince?

A fallow doe I have shot is as fat as a pig with layers of it. Has anyone used this for making venison mince, that is rather than the usual technique of adding other suet from beef or pork? I hate to see it wasted and it should be healthier in theory to eat.

If its from round the kidneys forget it ,That type of fat will just dissolve and leave hard mince,exterior fat no problem .I have venison mince with roe deer healthy options lol.

Okay good pointer, the mince I have saved is off the back and looks like what is used from beef. I threw away the internal fat that was not looking so good.

One of the best lasagne's i ever made was from venison mince without adding any pork or other fat. It was rich in flavour and just about the right amount of fat from the animal itself. I was feeding about 12 people at the time and each and everyone of them said it was the best they had ever tasted! The only thing different i did from a normal lasangne was add venison mince instead of beef mince.

Go for it!

Jim

Yes it is true that there is an obsession with adding fat to mince. I too have had burgers without any added fat that were fine, especially if not overcooked. My question about venison fat is also more general too really about using saving and using venison fat in cooking.

Hugh Fernley Witinstall (SP) used the fat from a sika to make suet pudding, so the option is there to use it.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

I can remember years back deer never had much body fat.
    fat around the kidneys is a good measure of the feed availability
    of the animal. Its good suet if you have done a clean gralloch.
    ( unless you are on a low fat diet)
    one of the benefits of venison is that it is very lean meat
    so why risk a heart attack eating suet...you could make candles or soap

I have tried the deer fat in burgers maybe 15% max and they were fantastic. The fat does make the burgers hold together without any egg or other unholy burger recipe contrivance. I stayed with the tip of using outer body fat, in this case back fat.

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    A fallow doe I have shot is as fat as a pig with layers of it. Has anyone used this for making venison mince, that is rather than the usual technique of adding other suet from beef or pork? I hate to see it wasted and it should be healthier in theory to eat.
    Keep the suet from the kidneys and tender loin, shred and use for dough balls and rolly-polly etc, fat on the haunch and breast is perfect for mince.

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Dog View Post
    One of the best lasagne's i ever made was from venison mince without adding any pork or other fat. It was rich in flavour and just about the right amount of fat from the animal itself. I was feeding about 12 people at the time and each and everyone of them said it was the best they had ever tasted! The only thing different i did from a normal lasangne was add venison mince instead of beef mince.

Go for it!

Jim
    +1 without question. Also best cottage (hunters) pie around!
    Regards

Fraser
    damnant quodnon intelligunt