Blaser BBF 95 or 97

moray loon

Dear all, does anyone out there own and use one of the above. Any comments on quality/practicality would be appreciated. ATB ml

Yes I've got the BBF97 and a mate has the BBF95. Excellent build quality, its my main hunting gun because its so versatile. If I sell every gun I own, this will be the only one I keep. It points very well and I've shot clay pigeons with it, plus deer at 300 yards. You won't get better than that.

The main difference is one of them ( can't remember which) only has one lock, with a switch to switch it to the other barrel. Between shots you have to break it to recock it. Thus to shoot the rifle barrel and then the shotgun barrel you have to shoot the rifle, open and close the gun to recock it and then switch to the shotgun barrel to fire. For 90% of time this will make no difference, but slightly limits it if you want to add a set of double rifle barrels, or to use the rifle barrel and slugs on say driven game.

With my combo I have once had a right and left. A fox at 20yds with the shotgun followed by a Roebuck at 100 with the rifle. But if I had to reload between shots I could have done so.

Personally I am not sure I like their styling - I am not keen on the German style horn trigger guards which many German drillings and combination guns have. Won't affect their function though purely a matter of personal taste.

Last edited:
If you are ever thinking of using as a double rifle for deer, you need to get the BBF97 which doesn't require you to break the action to fire the second barrel. My mate has the BBF95 but due to a car injury he finds it easier to cock and mainly uses it for foxes and fallow deer.

Everybody that has held my BBF said its a sweet handling gun. Will shoot a 5 shot 35mm group at 50m with the shotgun barrel with slugs. I have mine regulated for Rottweil exact slugs.

If you are ever thinking of using as a double rifle for deer, you need to get the BBF97 which doesn't require you to break the action to fire the second barrel. My mate has the BBF95 but due to a car injury he finds it easier to cock and mainly uses it for foxes and fallow deer.

Everybody that has held my BBF said its a sweet handling gun. Will shoot a 5 shot 35mm group at 50m with the shotgun barrel with slugs. I have mine regulated for Rottweil exact slugs.

Cheers for the info mate. Do you actually have to open the BBF 95 in order to cock it, or can't you just re-cock it with the slide behind the top lever ? What calibre is yours chambered for ? ATB ml

With the BBF95 you put the cartridge and case into the action, close it. You then cock it with the safety and you can fire either barrel. After firing, you decock the safety, open the action and if you want you can close the action immediately cock it and fire the second barrel. I prefer the 97 which means you just pull either trigger, and if you want, pull the other trigger without opening the action. This maybe important if you are shooting at running game with the shotgun first, then the rifle when it gets out of range. Mine is 7x57R/12/76mm. I use the 175gr Hornady interlocks as it ensures deep penetration on sambar deer. For the double rifle barrel set I have the 9.3x74R. That flattens most things if it connects.

The main difference is one of them ( can't remember which) only has one lock, with a switch to switch it to the other barrel. Between shots you have to break it to recock it. Thus to shoot the rifle barrel and then the shotgun barrel you have to shoot the rifle, open and close the gun to recock it and then switch to the shotgun barrel to fire. For 90% of time this will make no difference, but slightly limits it if you want to add a set of double rifle barrels, or to use the rifle barrel and slugs on say driven game.

With my combo I have once had a right and left. A fox at 20yds with the shotgun followed by a Roebuck at 100 with the rifle. But if I had to reload between shots I could have done so.

Personally I am not sure I like their styling - I am not keen on the German style horn trigger guards which many German drillings and combination guns have. Won't affect their function though purely a matter of personal taste.

Heym

I dont think that is the case at all. The gun is cocked when the safety is disengaged. You can select either barrel to shoot. When for example the shotgun barrel is fired, the safety has to be disengaged again in order to shoot the rifle barrel. The gun does not need to be broken! I havent done a lot work with my B95 and I have yet to shoot the shotgun barrel. Regards

Dear Conor 1, a BBF 95 owner/user has told me the same thing ie the gun is cocked/re-cocked using the tang mounted slide, you do not have to break open the gun between shots. ATB ml

Conor might be right. Thinking back, I've only had to open the BBF95 because I've had to change cartridges while sighting in at the range. If this is the case then the cocking is much easier than the BBF97 and I mean a lot easier. With tang safety its easy to push forward with the thumb.

Conor might be right. Thinking back, I've only had to open the BBF95 because I've had to change cartridges while sighting in at the range. If this is the case then the cocking is much easier than the BBF97 and I mean a lot easier. With tang safety its easy to push forward with the thumb.

Thanks for confirming that mchughcb, I am really interested in the BBF 95 as I like the thought of a very accurate rifle combined with a quality shotgun. Also because it breaks down like a shotgun, travelling with it should be easy. And it seems to be ( according to the Blaser website ) a light, short gun which appeals to me as I have had back surgery and can't be bothered with long heavy rifles anymore. All the best moray loon.

Here is another BBF97 I regulated today. 50m with with the rottweill exact slugs and 200m with the 270Win using 130gr interlocks reloads.

Very nice rifle that only needs an allen key to regulate with accuracy to match most bolt guns and the slugs (50m target last two are in the same hole).

Thanks for confirming that mchughcb, I am really interested in the BBF 95 as I like the thought of a very accurate rifle combined with a quality shotgun. Also because it breaks down like a shotgun, travelling with it should be easy. And it seems to be ( according to the Blaser website ) a light, short gun which appeals to me as I have had back surgery and can't be bothered with long heavy rifles anymore. All the best moray loon.
The Blaser B95/B97 has a very enviable reputation by it's users all around the world.
Their are so many good reports on this gun.
Personally I would choose the B95.
I reckon for the money it's the real sleeper of the Blaser range, compact, light, and extremely accurate.
Perfect for someone that is not interested in heavy rifles anymore.

Back