Thread: Dog's bones and bedding

Dog's bones and bedding

Alright, bit off a strange 1 here.

But has anyone came up with ay clever ideas how to stop there dog's taking meaty bones into there sleeping box (and i know it's only natural taking them to a safe place) but i use shredded tissue paper for bedding and it has the habit off sticking esp to meaty bones. This means the dogs end up digesting the tissue and coming out the other end, it never seems to bother them but i try mot to give meaty bones when fresh bedding in.
    I have just filled all the boxes up to the gunnels with paper to give them a bit off extra insulation but i also have a deer carcass to give them (and running out of space in chest freezer to) and could do with chucking some in to them the nite.

When i was a boy i had a similar problem when i kept ferrets, would take diced rabbit chunks to sleeping box and store/eat them there, not ideal in summer; ended up feeding them either whole or part rabbits and little buggers would still drag them into box. In the end i tied old snares to the hutch and put rabbit into the snares so they couldnae drag it away, which worked.

Anyone got any ideas

Cheers

Buy a cheap carpet mat, feed the dog only on this and every time the dog goes onto the mat of its own accord give it a small treat but dont make a fuss of the dog, the dog will soon click that new mat equates to good things. Then feed your dog the bone on the mat, if the dog moves off then move the bone back, it might take a few days but the dog will click in the end. My Border Terrier picked this up in a day or so and now the mat is a useful addition to training for when in the garden and recalling the dog she will lie on the mat if recalled then told to 'down', where as before she wouldnt, this is due to the good things that happen on the mat. The mat is then folded or cut to a smaller size over a period of days after she got the idea....then finally removed The mat is still used in the house though as if she is given a rib to chew or a kong with stuffing she now knows she should only eat on the mat. Be patient, make it fun and dont try and force the dog, the dog should the idea of doing things by choice not by force.

Good luck

Pete

Even cheaper than a mat, get a few carpet offcuts for free
    Last edited by chickenman; 01-12-2012 at 09:09.

As you say it's a dog's natural habit to take bones back to their bed to eat. Simple solution. Put a door on the opening to their sleeping box that you can close till the bone is finished. Remove whats left before you re open the hatch.

Cheers chickenman, bloody brilliant advice, cannae believe i never thought off that I think i thought it is such inherant and natural behaviour i'd never train it out off them.

Gave them a bones an hour ago and 3 out of the 4 still lying outside chewing, the 2 younger ones i jist sort of blocked box with leg and growled when tried to get in as soon as looked away praised them onlly took a couple of growls, and 1 of them is a bloody GWP (its usually a smiley i use when talking about him, he must be learning at long last), the 3rd my springer always lay ontop of his box anyway. So jist my older lab to work on now i didnae even try with him the nite. Still cannae believe how easy it was. Cheers again

Cheers gazza, i did think off that but generally i give them a bone to keep them occupied while i'm away to work and while the runs are roofed i wouldnae like them not to have access to there box all day, i did think that would have been simplier but i still cannae believe how easy that was, i keep going up to check and still outside.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Cheers chickenman, bloody brilliant advice, cannae believe i never thought off that I think i thought it is such inherant and natural behaviour i'd never train it out off them.

Gave them a bones an hour ago and 3 out of the 4 still lying outside chewing, the 2 younger ones i jist sort of blocked box with leg and growled when tried to get in as soon as looked away praised them onlly took a couple of growls, and 1 of them is a bloody GWP (its usually a smiley i use when talking about him, he must be learning at long last), the 3rd my springer always lay ontop of his box anyway. So jist my older lab to work on now i didnae even try with him the nite. Still cannae believe how easy it was. Cheers again

Cheers gazza, i did think off that but generally i give them a bone to keep them occupied while i'm away to work and while the runs are roofed i wouldnae like them not to have access to there box all day, i did think that would have been simplier but i still cannae believe how easy that was, i keep going up to check and still outside.

I cannot claim the honour of this method mate. it was my partner Michelle who told me that trick, it really does work, I think she found it from a guy on facebook????, there is alot of advice out there. He's one of the very positive trainers - no aversive methods which can destroy a dog and cause it to be fearful.
    I would encourage you not to growl at your dog as that is seen as a sign of aggression from you and a direct threat. There have been many recent articles posted on how the whole alpha dog thing is a load of ********. Your relationship with your dog should be based on MUTUAL trust, love and communciation. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing you. I'm coming from a place of being on a long journey of learning with my own dog. Their energy just needs to be channeled in the right direction with consistancy and fairness. Sounds like you're on the right track. Glad my advice worked out so well

Yes,Countrryboy,don't growl at your poor wire.
    Wires thrive on mutual love,trust and communication.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Yes,Countrryboy,don't growl at your poor wire.
    Wires thrive on mutual love,trust and communication.

Have to admit, I made the same mistake...until I had my head ripped off by Chell ...ooops.....my wee Border responds sooo much better by me just being her mate and the person that makes her day.....the thing she loves most....my reaction when she does her blood trails and finds her prize....she lives for that, beats any treats , food or her daft rubber toys anyday.