Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 for 6.5x55 Rifle & Scope! - What Should I Get????/

2000 for 6.5x55 Rifle & Scope! - What Should I Get????/

Hi All,

On the market from next week and my budget has changed slightly so hense asking the question again.

What would you buy if you had just 2k to spend on a scope, rifle and moderator and why?

I have a steyr at the moment in 243 and love it, so I was going to stick with the pro hunter just in a different cal, as the synthetic stock suits the all weather shooting.

I have toyed with looking at second hand customs but believe that they are really only custom the individual who purchased them.

Sadly my budget cannot be increased...

I like the sakos and T3's but prefer the steyrs....is there any other brand that i should be looking at within this budget....

B

Make sure you leave enough for the shell suit you dont want to look out of place.

Massive budget! It depends on what you want from your rifle, personally I have a Tikka T3 laminate stainless and a third eye tactical Spartan moderator that I bought with a set of optilocks for 650 with about 80 rounds thrown in! I have ontop a schmidt and bender 8x56 and all I use this rifle for is deer out to 150 yards and the odd fox if I see one when Im out! It's not my main rifle, but that lot cost me 1000! So for an out and out deer rifle, I think something like that would suit you perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Make sure you leave enough for the shell suit you dont want to look out of place.
    Wicked Hahahhahahaha

My signature sums up my thoughts on the subject...

I bought the rifle secondhand from Macleod's of Tain, but it's a combo of about 800 over your budget. It's all that I'll ever need, so was prepared to go lower cost initially until I had enough ie Nikon scope and T8 mod.

Great calibre, and enjoy hunting out the bargains (pun intended)!

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by AllThingsShooting View Post
    Hi All,

On the market from next week and my budget has changed slightly so hense asking the question again.

What would you buy if you had just 2k to spend on a scope, rifle and moderator and why?

I have a steyr at the moment in 243 and love it, so I was going to stick with the pro hunter just in a different cal, as the synthetic stock suits the all weather shooting.

I have toyed with looking at second hand customs but believe that they are really only custom the individual who purchased them.

I like the sakos and T3's but prefer the steyrs....is there any other brand that i should be looking at within this budget....

B
    6.5x55 Budget

Tikka T3 Lite Blue 733 - Sportsman
    S&B Classic 2.5-10x50 911 - Sportsman
    Mounts 80 - Sportsman
    Hardy Gen IV 280 - Riflecraft
    But that's 2,004

You could save a bit more by going for the Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 599
    That's 1,692

Why the Tikka because I've seen three Steyr's sent back with faults! And the Tikka is the same family as Sako which are good, I know I have one.
    S&B because I have one and it's excellent
    Hardy Gen IV because I have one of those as well and it's light and a pleasure to hang of the end, it also works.

Just saved you 308 so you might be able to drive a hard bargain for a Sako 85 Hunter with someone, GOOD LUCK!

P.S. For the 6.5x55 I would recommend a 22" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by AllThingsShooting View Post
    Hi All,

B
    In many cases "custom" is a misnomer.
    It's usually more of a case of a gun plumber sticking bits of aftermarket kit together, rather than making it to a specification.

I'd also go Sako, rather than Steyr - I have stalked with a guy who has the scout and it doesn't seem to work all that consistently e.g. safety and of course the magic dissassembling bolt...

Sauer may be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Sako 6.5x55 75 Action 4 Hunter Laminate Stainless Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 1,195.

CW optilocks and mod...

leaves you 800 for glass

Beats the 85 or t3 IMO...

Good shout, Tom!

Also here on SD:
    For Sale: Sako 75 finnlight 6.5x55 for 1000 inc. mod - been on here a while, so might be up for a price review...

Again, around 1000 for glass & mounts
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Get the finlight !!