Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 AI pressure problems

243 AI pressure problems

I cant seem to get consistance in the ammo pressure wise, the accuracy is fine but!
    i have done the load development and thought i had it sorted at 44gr N150 behind a 70gr blitzking
    I fired 20 shots today and probably 12 were fine, 8 have soot marks down the neck and onto the body,5 had small marks on the head from the ejector 2 had blown the primer out alltogether and 1 has blown the primer and had bad marks on the head from both sides of the ejector mechanism
    I measure each powder charge out to within less than a 10th of a grain
    Someone has suggested that the brass may be at fault, I aquired it with the rifle but do not know its history
    Any ideas??

I have a 243 AI which I bought from another Forum member. I used brand new Lapua brass when I started reloading it. I also used RWS factory ammo so that I could go out and shoot straight away with it. I subsequently did some reloading with the RWS brass.

The rifle came with a Redding neck sizer bushing die, so initially, all I could with the brass was neck size it. I have since got a Hornady custom die made from twice fired Lapua brass and can now full length resize the brass.

I suggest you get some brand new Lapua brass and also try and establish whether or not the dies you have match the chamber that you have.

Good luck. JCS

Good thought there John as there i beleive 3 different variations on the ackley/40 deg chambering
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I have a 243 AI which I bought from another Forum member. I used brand new Lapua brass when I started reloading it. I also used RWS factory ammo so that I could go out and shoot straight away with it. I subsequently did some reloading with the RWS brass.

The rifle came with a Redding neck sizer bushing die, so initially, all I could with the brass was neck size it. I have since got a Hornady custom die made from twice fired Lapua brass and can now full length resize the brass.

I suggest you get some brand new Lapua brass and also try and establish whether or not the dies you have match the chamber that you have.

Good luck. JCS
    You dont say but did you have similar problems

steve

dies

I have only neck sized the cases that came with it and were 'supposed' to have been fired in the rifle using redding dies supplied by spud

steve

Quote Originally Posted by bogwelly View Post
    You dont say but did you have similar problems

steve
    Steve. No, I haven't had pressure problems, but I'm not into pushing the envelope on velocities. I like mild mannered accurate loads. I have browsed the following link for ideas on loads - Site Needs .243/.243AI Loads Comments Regards JCS

I cant seem to get consistance in the ammo pressure wise, the accuracy is fine but!
    i have done the load development and thought i had it sorted at 44gr N150 behind a 70gr blitzking
    I fired 20 shots today and probably 12 were fine, 8 have soot marks down the neck and onto the body,5 had small marks on the head from the ejector 2 had blown the primer out alltogether and 1 has blown the primer and had bad marks on the head from both sides of the ejector mechanism
    I measure each powder charge out to within less than a 10th of a grain
    Someone has suggested that the brass may be at fault, I aquired it with the rifle but do not know its history
    Any ideas??
    for starters what powder was the rifle using before you aquired it ??

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    for starters what powder was the rifle using before you aquired it ??
    The guy i got it from was using 46gr of N150 behind the 70gr blitzking but admitted it was a hot load also of the 200+ cases that came with the rifle i threw away nearly half due to pressure signs mainly expanded primer pockets
    just for info the load i am using is listed on at least 3 seperate sites and during load development showed no adverse signs!! first time i fire more than 3 shots ? go figure

The guy i got it from was using 46gr of N150 behind the 70gr blitzking but admitted it was a hot load also of the 200+ cases that came with the rifle i threw away nearly half due to pressure signs mainly expanded primer pockets
    just for info the load i am using is listed on at least 3 seperate sites and during load development showed no adverse signs!! first time i fire more than 3 shots ? go figure
    Ok,I thought you were going to say Varget as i had problems with carbon build up in the throat which caused pressure,I have used 150 and also got problem which scrapped my brass,if i was you I would binn the brass and buy new,firr form using a stout std 243 charge using either Vit 140/160 or H414,I have used all types of powders in a 243 AI for over 10 years and 3 barrels,so i have done a bit of testing.
    also check the neck dia of your chambering to make sure you not on a tight neck,this should be stamped on the barrel,
    give the gun a really good clean to make sure theres nothing built up in the throat,if you have access to a bore scope this will help.

Have the cases been trimmed? Have you checked neck thickness with regard to the chamber dimensions? A chamber cast would be enlightening.~Muir